Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3319154
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This thread makes me happy

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Huh, does the mirage not have an emergency tire iron?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    291,741 miles I'm past due for getting my tires rotated, but there is no way I am taking my car to Walmart for a free tire rotation during the zombie apocalypse.

I tried rotating the tires myself, only to discover that I can't find my 21 mm socket. Oh well, I will order a new socket on eBay later this evening.

In the meantime, I did a Techron treatment instead.
    Are you missing your black tool bag next to your spare tire? It has a tire wrench, handle for your car jack, & front tow hook in the bag. How else would change a flat tire on the road?

I use my 4-way tire iron at home for everything. 13/16" takes off lug nuts and tightens them without issue on my Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Are you missing your black tool bag next to your spare tire? It has a tire wrench, handle for your car jack, & front tow hook in the bag. How else would change a flat tire on the road?
    I have everything that came with the car. My tires were installed by Walmart with an impact wrench. I have an impact wrench at home.

The tools you described are for emergencies when you get a flat tire on the side of the road. I have used the tool kit in that instance.

Why would I want to manually use that tool for swapping four tires when I can use an impact and be done in minutes?

I also have a hydraulic jack with several jack stands. Should I leave that in the shop and use the cheap scissor jack instead? I'm not sure how I would get two tires in the air at once with just a scissor jack. Please explain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use my 4-way tire iron at home for everything.
    I haven't used a tire iron in over a decade. I'd much rather use the proper size socket and an impact wrench. Impact wrenches are magical and you don't have to worry about throwing your back while you strain to break free a nut.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have everything that came with the car. My tires were installed by Walmart with an impact wrench. I have an impact wrench at home.

The tools you described are for emergencies when you get a flat tire on the side of the road. I have used the tool kit in that instance.

Why would I want to manually use that tool for swapping four tires when I can use an impact and be done in minutes?

I also have a hydraulic jack with several jack stands. Should I leave that in the shop and use the cheap scissor jack instead? I'm not sure how I would get two tires in the air at once with just a scissor jack. Please explain.
    I didn't mean to upset you. I was just suggesting a 13/16" socket might work for you. Please note Steve - you didn't say you were using a impact tool. I thought you were using a large socket wrench or breaker bar.

I have 4 jack stands and a hydraulic jack. I've never used my Mirage or Forester car jacks either.

I have summer/winter wheels for my vehicles. I lift up the car, pull the tire, and put what tire I want on before I let the car back down. I have jack stands, but don't need them for this type of job. When my snow tires come off, the summer tires will be rotated (from last summer) when they go back on next time.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-19-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't mean to upset you. I was just suggesting a 13/16" socket might work for you. Please note Steve - you didn't say you were using a impact tool. I thought you were using a large socket wrench or breaker bar.

I have 4 jack stands and a hydraulic jack. I've never used my Mirage or Forester car jacks either.

I have summer/winter wheels for my vehicles. I lift up the car, pull the tire, and put what tire I want on before I let the car back down. I have jack stands, but don't need them for this type of job. When my snow tires come off, the summer tires will be rotated (from last summer) when they go back on next time.
    Apologies. I certainly can be a jerk at times. I guess this zombie apocalypse is getting to me. I need a pizza.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

For anyone else that may be interested in doing tire rotations at home & only having one jack to work with -
    When I rotate tires at home, I try to lift the wheel just once. I take care of one corner (pull one off & put next one on) before moving on the next spot. I don't see the need to use jack stands, because that would require lifting the car a second time in each spot to remove the jack stands. Obviously, this works better when you have two sets of tires.

If I am just rotating one set of tires, I tend to use my spare or an extra tire briefly (instead of messing with 4 jack stands). If I am doing a rotation (rear tires crossing to the front & front tires going straight back), I will use a spare or extra tire to get that job done.

DF = driver side front tire
    DR = driver side rear tire
    PF = passenger side front tire
    PR = passenger side rear tire

This is just what I do, but you could start anywhere.

1. Lift & pull the DR tire off. Add the spare/extra tire before putting the car back down.
    2. Lift & pull the PF tire off. Add your DR tire to the front.
    3. Lift & pull your PR tire off. Add your PF tire to the rear.
    4. Lift & pull your DF tire off. Add your PR tire to the front.
    5. Lift & pull your spare/extra tire off. Add the DF tire to the rear.

This requires lifting one spot twice, but that's easier than lifting the car twice in all four spots, & there is no need to pull out 4 jack stands. You just need to remember to loosen the lug nuts before lifting the tire, and tightening the lug nuts after letting the tire back down.

A good mechanic will use a torque wrench to tighten each lug nut, not an impact wrench.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-19-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apologies. I certainly can be a jerk at times. I guess this zombie apocalypse is getting to me. I need a pizza.
    No apology necessary, but I should be buying an impact wrench. I do change my own tires on two vehicles twice a year. Plus, I have trailers, ATV, UTV, & other things I work on. I will add that to my Christmas list!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Sheeeeeeeit, you down there in Cajun country. If anyone will survive an apocalypse its Cajun coonass. Those folks can eat opposum, snake, gator, racoon, etc. Watch the movie "Southern Comfort" its all about that. You need to get in good with those folks Steve.