Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3315313
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you heard about the recent Hyundai recall? The seatbelt blew up on somebody and parts went into their leg. Their solution? Put a plastic cap over it! This is why I’m generally mistrustful of newer cars. The Mirage is the only one I trust because it doesn’t have excessive computer modules. As for Kias, I’d use a cheap one as a throwaway car if I could get one for low enough. Run it up to 100k and sell it. In general all cars are a toss up though. One underpaid factory worker having a bad day 5 years ago can ruin your whole week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    Have you heard about the recent Hyundai recall?
    Yep. I've waited months for my car to come in. There is no way I'm bringing it back over a seatbelt recall.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yep, the Mirage would need a 6th gear to achieve those numbers.

I am the opposite of you. I used to be a big fan of Hyundai/KIA, but my opinion of them has changed. There's just too many engine issues with them. This has been a problem for quite some time now. The same issues that were coming up years ago are still here more recently, & that concerns me!

"Hyundai is recalling 125,840 Elantra sedans, Kona SUVs, and Veloster sporty cars with a 2.0-liter engine to address a potential issue with the piston rings. These cars from the 2019 to 2021 model years use engines that may have been assembled with inconsistently heat-treated piston oil rings." May 4, 2021

I've heard enough personal stories to be turned off by the brand these days. One KIA owner told me his faulty engine was replaced with a same new faulty engine. The service manager was up front & honest with him. He said, "you are getting the exact same engine that failed, because they have a pile of them to use up." This guy ditched the vehicle shortly after that.

I used to be a big fan of KIA, because my 1990 Ford Festiva was designed by Mazda, built by KIA, and sold by Ford. For a $5,300, it was a super reliable car for the 14 years that I owned it. It's not just Hyundai/KIA that has problems these days, however. Even Toyota has had some piston rings/burning oil issues.

Hopefully, Hyundai/KIA are addressing these issues for 2022 & beyond! I have no doubt your car is great! Your economy numbers sound awesome. I hope it's an awesome car for you!
    Amen. I've been preaching against Korean cars for decades. The 2013 engine recall was a pretty big deal. Hopefully this car proves me wrong. I'd like to get 300k miles and six years out of it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-01-2022),inuvik (06-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I’ve been preaching against Korean cars for the last 25 years. This go around I was considering getting a Toyota Corolla but the Elantra has so many more features and gets the best gas mileage out of any gasoline car on the market today. I get 47 mpg on the interstate at 75 mph and 53 mpg on state highways at 60 mph and below. That made it pretty hard to turn down the Elantra.
    I've been on the fence about this same decision for a while now... I really want a Corolla SE Hatch with the 6 speed, but the Elantra is really nice and those numbers you posted.... WOW
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

You can still get an Elantra up here with a 6 speed manual. Base msrp works out to around $16,000 usd. It seems like the base model Canada spec Elantra is comparable to similarly to a top/higher spec Mirage but it doesn't come with cruise. Has ac, keyless entry, heated seats and all that crap.

Keep us posted how the Hyundai holds together. My wife's Sorento hasn't had any issues yet other than the sunroof blowing up on the highway but the dealer managed to get it covered under some magic warranty. I prefer it over the 15' Optima she had, the transmission was pretty clunky in that thing at times and those 2.4's were ticking bombs.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You can still get an Elantra up here with a 6 speed manual. Base msrp works out to around $16,000 usd. It seems like the base model Canada spec Elantra is comparable to similarly to a top/higher spec Mirage but it doesn't come with cruise. Has ac, keyless entry, heated seats and all that crap.

Keep us posted how the Hyundai holds together. My wife's Sorento hasn't had any issues yet other than the sunroof blowing up on the highway but the dealer managed to get it covered under some magic warranty. I prefer it over the 15' Optima she had, the transmission was pretty clunky in that thing at times and those 2.4's were ticking bombs.
    The specs of the new Elantra are great! 147 hp and Steve's mpg numbers are awesome.

In all honesty, the Mirage is not a great car at higher speeds. Can it do 70-80 mpg? Sure! Does it handle those speed quite well? Not really! When the Mirage engine is working hard, the mpg numbers do drop. A taller 5th gear or 6th gear would help, & I don't sense it's spectacular @ higher speeds even with the CVT option.

This is why I would never pay big bucks for a Mirage. Even a low mileage used Mirage ES manual is priced more than I would pay for a Mirage today. At the current pricing, I would pay a little extra for a low mileage Honda Fit LX manual, or I would search hard for an older low mileage Toyota Matrix manual.

A Mirage has to come across as a really affordable car to peak my interest, because it is a cheaply built car. I'm not saying it's a Yugo, however. It's an awesome little car if the price is right. Given the current pricing of the Mirage, I don't blame people jumping to cars priced slightly more like the Corolla and Elantra. You are going to get a car that you may be more happy with in the long haul, & the economy at higher speeds may be superior to the Mirage.

The other big issue is that new Mirages are lacking. White Bear having zero says it all! I don't think it's related to them selling like hotcakes either. It all seems a bit ironic, because I have never seen gas prices like this before. 5-years ago, White Bear was loaded with Mirages all summer long. Even at $7,500-$9,500 (depending on the rebates you qualified for) for a brand new ES manual, they had them in stock for months. Now that same car is double those prices, & there's very few to be found.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's good to hear you haven't been kidnapped by some Nigerian pirates or something like that. Hopefully whoever buys your car keeps us updated.
    I never imagined you'd own a junky Korean car

They do look fancier than 2-4 years ago though.
    Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me (compared to the equivalent Toyota), they are nasty stupid crap on the inside. Designed there, saw that, vomited every day. Only liquor and shock therapy got me past it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me (compared to the equivalent Toyota), they are nasty stupid crap on the inside. Designed there, saw that, vomited every day. Only liquor and shock therapy got me past it.
    I must admit that you killed any appeal I had left for Hyundai/KIA. I've always liked the Soul, because it was different from everything else. The Venue would also interest me, but my money would go elsewhere these days. I'd rather own a low mileage Outlander Sport manual, because I would feel better about the power train past warranty, which would only be 5-years/60,000 miles for the second owner.

On a positive note, Hyundai/KIA do come with a good warranty. Even if you're not thrilled with the vehicle, someone making payments is most likely covered for any expensive repairs. If you don't like it before 10-years/100,000 miles, you can dump it for something else.

I'm content with my paid off Forester & Mirage. if something happened to one of them, I would go back to one vehicle (now that I am only working part-time & semi-retired). What would I get? Since low mileage CR-Vs, RAV4s, & Element (AWD manuals) are becoming quite rare, a used Outlander Sport manual may be my first choice. The thought of buying a new vehicle is gone. It's not that I can't afford one. I just don't want to throw that much money into one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is what caused me to sell my soul and get a Hyundai with a CVT. Name:  5010FD6B-B3C0-4036-941E-EDE57E738736.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  101.3 KB

How does it do hand calculated though? I looked at 22' Elantra's on Fuelly and the only one's that are averaging over 40mpg are hybrids. The estimated mpg for the 6 speed version up here is only 25.8mpg city. I would hope that's not accurate in real life lol.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-01-2022),Wil B (06-02-2022)