Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Plastic Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Cheap Plastic Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Silver
    Manual

Rostra Cruise Control Kit - Part # 250-9633

•  
    Details

175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty - Replaced at 78k miles)

175/65-14 Hankook Optimo H724 (70k mile warranty - Currently in use)

•  
    Comments: 534 / Views: 3315365
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I've been replacing TPMS sensors in GM cars for years. But it wasn't until I had a Mirage that I actually to understand the concept of a sensor ID and a TPMS communication protocol. When a car can register new sensors using a $10 trigger tool (or sometimes no tool at all), you don't give a rat's azz about sensor IDs or what communication protocol a sensor is using.

The communication protocol was the last piece of the puzzle for really understanding the different types of replacement TPMS sensors out there. In the last week I re-wrote THIS section of the TPMS Quick Reference that goes into more detail about how TPMS sensors work and the different "re-learn" processes.

Only about 25% of vehicles require an OBDII tool to register TPMS sensor IDs. If you own a Mitsubishi (or most other Asian makes)...congratulations...you are part of that 25%!

I went to 2 different shops in the last week to have some new aftermarket TPMS sensors programmed to my Mirage (another thread on that coming soon). The first shop said "Yeah...we can do a Mitsubishi." Then I pulled out this photo...

Name:  mitsu-relearn.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  77.4 KB

...and I said "Look...if you have a tool that does NOT have a special OBDII adapter cable just for Mitsubishi models, then you probably can't do it." As soon as I said that, they were like "uhhh...well...we don't have any special cables...you'll probably have to go to the dealer for that."

I did the same thing at the second shop (Discount Tire). The guy behind the counter looked at me like I had 2 heads when I pulled the picture out. Fortunately there was a tire tech standing right there and he says "Oh yeah...we have that adapter for Mitsubishi cars. Pull it into the garage and we'll do it right now!" Success!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    256,556 miles I stopped at National Tire and Battery to see if they could program the TPMS sensors into the computer. They tried and were not successful. They mentioned that they even had a special Mitsubishi cable but still got an error when they tried to program them into the computer. They suggested going to the dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That sucks. When the tech at Discount Tire tried to do mine the first time, it also failed for some reason. He was using a Bartec TPMS tool with the Mitsubishi adapter cable.

Attempt #1:

He walked around my car and read each of the 4 TPMS IDs into his tool. Then he connected the tool to the OBDII port (with the Mitsubishi cable) and tried to load the 4 sensor IDs into the TPMS computer. I wasn't watching him closely at that point, but this method didn't work. He barely knew what he was doing, so it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't paying attention to the exact instructions on the tool display that walk you through the process.

Attempt #2:

Fortunately, there's a second way to register sensors in a Mirage. Using the same tool (with the same Mitsubishi adapter connected to the OBDII port), you can tell the Mirage's TPMS computer that you are going to trigger the 4 sensors on the car instead of loading the IDs directly through the OBDII port. As you trigger each sensor, the Mirage computer will store the ID.

So the guy at Discount Tire started doing it this way. I knew he was up to something when he started letting air out of my left front tire. I asked him if he was trying to trigger the sensors. He said yes. So I grabbed my own TPMS tool and triggered the 4 sensors myself while he sat in the driver's seat with the Bartec tool still connected. Each time I triggered a sensor, he would tell me the Mirage's TPMS successfully detected it. After the 4th sensor was registered, he said the tool indicated success and I was done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That sucks. When the tech at Discount Tire tried to do mine the first time, it also failed for some reason. He was using a Bartec TPMS tool with the Mitsubishi adapter cable.

Attempt #1:

He walked around my car and read each of the 4 TPMS IDs into his tool. Then he connected the tool to the OBDII port (with the Mitsubishi cable) and tried to load the 4 sensor IDs into the TPMS computer. I wasn't watching him closely at that point, but this method didn't work. He barely knew what he was doing, so it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't paying attention to the exact instructions on the tool display that walk you through the process.

Attempt #2:

Fortunately, there's a second way to register sensors in a Mirage. Using the same tool (with the same Mitsubishi adapter connected to the OBDII port), you can tell the Mirage's TPMS computer that you are going to trigger the 4 sensors on the car instead of loading the IDs directly through the OBDII port. As you trigger each sensor, the Mirage computer will store the ID.

So the guy at Discount Tire started doing it this way. I knew he was up to something when he started letting air out of my left front tire. I asked him if he was trying to trigger the sensors. He said yes. So I grabbed my own TPMS tool and triggered the 4 sensors myself while he sat in the driver's seat with the Bartec tool still connected. Each time I triggered a sensor, he would tell me the Mirage's TPMS successfully detected it. After the 4th sensor was registered, he said the tool indicated success and I was done.
    This is great information. Thank you for sharing.

As it turns out, there is exactly one Discount Tire in the whole state of Louisiana. It isn't on my daily route, but I may simply wait and have them look at it next time I am close to their shop.

I called Discount Tire to ask how much they charge to program TPMS into the computer and the person who answered said, "Its free." I told him I didn't purchase the tires from Discount Tire and he insisted it was okay and it would still be free!

I am going to print out the post you just made, minus the part about the tech not knowing what he was doing, and bring it along with me when I get to drop by Discount Tire. Those guys are getting a ton of free pizza if they take care of my TPMS issue!

Before calling them, I managed to get in touch with a second dealership who said they could do it for one hour of labor at $135 an hour, plus tax.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could you share what Discount Tire programmed your tires? It would be nice to have their phone number handy in case the shop I go to runs into any issues. Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    ...he insisted it was okay and it would still be free!

I am going to print out the post you just made, minus the part about the tech not knowing what he was doing...
    LOL...yeah...don't mention that. In his defense, I think mine was the first late-model Mitsubishi he had used the tool on. I was just happy that these guys were willing to throw me a bone, and they were more than willing to help out. When I pulled out my own tool (that doesn't sound right) and started triggering sensors, the guys in the shop were somewhat surprised. They didn't charge me anything, but I flipped the guy who helped me a $20 bill and he really appreciated it.

Before calling them, I managed to get in touch with a second dealership who said they could do it for one hour of labor at $135 an hour, plus tax.
    Wow...makes my $120 bill seem reasonable. I have had to do that once before.

Could you share what Discount Tire programmed your tires? It would be nice to have their phone number handy in case the shop I go to runs into any issues.
    Discount Tire
    8141 N Springboro Pike
    Miamisburg, OH 45342
    (937) 898-7245

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I hope Discount Tire is able to help out Steve, & I appreciate the two of you sharing your experience.

As I read this discussion, I can see the value of cloning sensors. Taking the code off a dead or damaged sensor before tossing it is important for that to happen. In Steve's case, he was beyond that option. I get that!

In all honesty, programming something like TPMS sensor into any vehicle should not be this difficult. It's a safety feature. Mitsubishi should be the one doing this service for free, not Discount Tire. These are the type of things that makes a company look lame.

I really like my Mirage! It's been a great little car. I am not impressed with Mitsubishi as a company, however. The lack of dealerships in the country is bad enough. The few dealerships they do have should do a better job of providing service. If I didn't have some faith in this little car itself, I would not own one for that very reason (lack of a good dealership network).

If Discount Tire or even Walmart can't reprogram a sensor in a car, something is way more complicated than it needs to be. This is a feature that shouldn't even require a tool to do the job. You push a reset button on the dash, & the car programs whatever four sensors are on the car. Simple & done!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This would make a very good class action lawsuit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dropped by Discount Tire today with the instructions in hand. They had the Bartec tool but did not have a Mitsubishi cable. I asked if they would try it if I provided the Mitsubishi cable and they said yes.

So I've ordered the following cable for about $30 including tax and free shipping thanks to a 20% sale at Advance Auto.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...002/10666029-P

Worst case scenario, they try with the cable, can't do it and I end up returning the cable and going to the dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I dropped by Discount Tire today with the instructions in hand. They had the Bartec tool but did not have a Mitsubishi cable. I asked if they would try it if I provided the Mitsubishi cable and they said yes.

So I've ordered the following cable for about $30 including tax and free shipping thanks to a 20% sale at Advance Auto.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...002/10666029-P

Worst case scenario, they try with the cable, can't do it and I end up returning the cable and going to the dealership.
    I have the Bartec tool AND the cable. It doesn't work with my car. I think the key is having a tool with the very latest software update (which mine does not have).