Great photo! I shift at around 2500 rpm to the next gear up. Maybe 3000 rpm if I am in a hurry to get someplace. Basically this is by "sound". To me at 3000 rpm or higher the engine sounds like it is working too hard.

In city driving as soon as the red light turns green I am able to accelerate with shifts at 2500 rpm and it is still "with the flow of traffic", I am not delaying the other cars behind me or anything. Well maybe once in a while I will get some sh!t-for-brains behind me that will ride my a$s, blow the horn or flash the high beams but that is a rare thing. I have found I can apply alot of hypermiling strategies without going to the extreme that I am holding up traffic.

Ocassionaly people will still get pis$sed off when they see me downshift to 4th and coast when the light up ahead is turning red. They will blow the horn at me because they are not traffic aware enough to notice that the light up ahead is turning red. I had one guy actually pass me BY DRIVING ON THE SIDEWALK just to rev up his engine and pass me and then he had to slam the brakes (because the light was red).