Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aisin AMR500 supercharger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Proving the supercharger was at fault for a CVT failure wouldn't be hard. Increasing torque through the transmission will put more stress on it, and thus reduce life.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-28-2018),Marklovski (05-29-2018),mohammad (09-01-2022)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm more worried about the cooling though. Automatics and CVTs need more cooling and reliance on gear oil.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Install a Nissan cvt cooler, they have 2 extra fittings which flow cvt fluid. Run them to an external air to fluid cooler. Attachment 11867 Pic is just an example. I don't know exactly which one would fit, there are 2 sets of bolt holes on the cvt for different coolers. I'm sure there is a cooler available that would fit and work well.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (05-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thinking of supercharing next year as my Mirage is almost paid off. How much do you think it'll cost for everything to be custom made?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a question that's nearly impossible to answer.

Define "everything".

How far down the rabbit hole are you going? Just to install the SC would require some custom bracketry to mount it, and determining what belt to use with it... possibly adding an idler pulley. Plus custom intake tubing.

That's the absolute minimum. "Get the SC on the car and into the instake stream." If you're paying a professional to do it, and they take pride in their work and do everything just right... that figure at least 4 hours (that's if they're being generous... it will likely take more than twice that unless they're really good and have done a lot of this kind of thing before) just to get the mounting brackets done and get the unit mounted. Another 2 hours (again, generous, if they're really good) to get the intake piping done. A good performance shop is probably going to charge between $90 and $120 per hour. Call it $100. You're looking at an absolute MINIMUM of $600 in labor, and likely double that... possibly more.

Add in $300 for the SC, $200 for intake hardware, $50 for bracket materials, $20 for a new belt.

It is possible that you could be done for as little as $1200-1500 if you had a "friendly" and talented performance shop to work with. And you could absolutely do it for under $1k if you did a lot of the work yourself. But, more realistically, if you just take your car and an AMR500 to a shop... you're going ot spend $3k getting it installed.

And then... you've got JUST the supercharger (and maybe the intercooler that came with it) installed. No tuning, no timing adjustment, no additional fuel. It would be far from optimized. But, I'm guessing if you keep the level of boost below 5 psi, you could get away with that. (I might actually try this in a year or two)

If you add in some means of tuning, and time to tune it... and you're not doing any of it yourself... that gets expensive, too.

And if you've got a CVT and want to add a cooler, you have to buy the cooler, the hoses, custom mounting brackets, more ATF, etc, etc.

You'll probably want a trans fluid temperature gauge.... $.

And a boost gauge... $$.

And on and on.

You've asked a very open-ended question, indeed.
    Simplify and add lightness.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-28-2020),Qrush (09-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was planning on tuning and installation myself. It'll be stationary for a several weeks probably.

Not includingnlabor it doesn't look too bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That SC is dirt cheap. If you can get by with minimal tuning hardware, and do most of the work yourself, it's a really simple and inexpensive option.

Given that the car has a good knock sensing system from the factory, as long as you keep the boost level sane (4-5 psi), and use an intercooler, you shouldn't need to do much. Maybe a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to get a little more fuel on the top end if the stock injectors can't keep up?

Really depends on how much power you want to try to make.

And the CVT probably won't take a LOT of power. (nor with the manual... it's all designed for 70-80 hp... figure 20-30% more is about all it should be expected to reliably take)
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The fuel pressure regulator might be a good idea.

If I had a WRX I would try to get 35-40% out a supercharger but I dont think that realistic with the Mirage if I want to keep it reliable. Why I'm 50/50 on getting the Speedlab kit. It might be too much strain on the tranny.

I'm just trying to get a bit of boost. It'll be more noticeable if I decide to cut weight and get Recaros

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    And the CVT probably won't take a LOT of power. (nor with the manual... it's all designed for 70-80 hp... figure 20-30% more is about all it should be expected to reliably take)
    I thought the Jatco CVT was designed for 150 horsepower.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I thought the Jatco CVT was designed for 150 horsepower.
    Yah, that was my understanding too. I thought it was used in the Nissan Juke also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-28-2020)