Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aisin AMR500 supercharger

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Retarded question, why does it look like there are 3 large round ports on those Note superchargers? One being the throttle body. I haven't been around superchargers for a while, the ones I recall had an inlet and outlet.
    I was wondering as well at first whey there are 3 holes. It’s because they have a bypass when the SC is not engaged.
    You can read all about it here:

https://www.marklines.com/en/report_all/rep1329_201409

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fit For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-16-2020)

Oh, so that's not a throttle body on the supercharger it's a bypass valve that redirects air through the supercharger or bypasses it as demanded...It has a clutch on the supercharger pulley like a ac compressor. I don't think I've ever seen a setup like that and wondered why nobody has done that before. I guess they have.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...It has a clutch on the supercharger pulley like a ac compressor.
    Wait...that crap only happens in the Mad max movie, right?

Name:  mad_max.jpg
Views: 2685
Size:  61.4 KB

I didn't know such a thing existed, either. I found this related article that explains other Aisin superchargers. Looks interesting!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, so that's not a throttle body on the supercharger it's a bypass valve that redirects air through the supercharger or bypasses it as demanded...It has a clutch on the supercharger pulley like a ac compressor. I don't think I've ever seen a setup like that and wondered why nobody has done that before. I guess they have.
    Okay so we need to get this thread rebooted since i’m trying like heck to get this AMR500 to work on my 3A92.

This is exactly what is needed some kind of bypass or redirect for mostly closed throttle and idle. Does anyone know what these are called or where to purchase?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know how feasible this is for the Mirage engine, but a common solution to idle problems on supercharged early Miatas is to move the throttle body to the intake side of the supercharger. It's especially a problem on cars that also have a lightweight flywheel. The idle control is just too sensitive with boost blowing into it, and that boost also varying with RPM. Controlling it on the inlet side seems to help.

Sometimes they'll put a "dummy throttle body" in the stock location so that all the hoses can be connected, and then move the stock throttle body to the inlet of the SC. Something about (vastly) reducing the throttled volume, thus making it easier for the idle control valve to do its job.

One of a thousand threads on the topic:
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=178187
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I don't know how feasible this is for the Mirage engine, but a common solution to idle problems on supercharged early Miatas is to move the throttle body to the intake side

One of a thousand threads on the topic:
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=178187
    Interesting. I should mention mine is not a mirage engine in a mirage. It’s a mirage engine in a dune buggy controlled by MS3X, i’m not using idle valve if that’s what you meant.

I tired a lower pulley ratio and didn’t solve the issue of compressor surge. All the smaller pulleys did were limit me to 3psi at WOT, but the AMR500 is still burning up at idle. I played around with my BOV spring until it vented at idle but it was unreliable and ended up blowing my charge pipe loose after it got stuck closed at idle... I’ve thought about putting a bypass return hose back into the intake side exactly like a fuel system return but not sure if doing this how much PSI I will be loosing up top. It’s a semi solution but not a great one...

I’m also looking into other supercharger setups. Rotrex is not the only company making tiny centrifugal supercharger‘s. There is a new company called Maxpeeding Rods making a cheaper version (in china I think) I have yet to get the specs on it.

I’m wondering though, wouldn’t I have the same issues with compressor surge with a centrifugal supercharger too? If so it must not be too bad as Speedlabs uses the setup... Speedlabs has been very tight lipped about resolutions to these issues.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DirtGearTv For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't know much about the internals of these engines. I'm thinking everything is fairly light-duty? I don't even know what the compression ratio of a Mirage engine is. Is it 9:1?

How much boost do you suppose this engine could support before you're sweeping up the pieces off the track?
    If you think of the Mirage engine as more of a motorcycle style engine then it's no longer light duty. Dog knows, there's a few folks here that keep their engines bouncing off the rev limiter 24/7. Except for very highly tuned bike engines, it seems you can wring a lot of power from a bike mill.

The Suzuki 'Busa can be turbo'ed to about 475 hp without major internal upgrades. It's still very reliable. Not bad at all considering you started with 1200cc and about 160 hp.

Don't ever forget Mitsu made the complete Zero, airframe and engine. The Zero Sakae engine was a sweet radial. I'm purely speculating that the Mirage engine can produce 150+ hp with boost an not needing extensive internal changes.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I too want to know the limits of this engine. Far as I can tell it’s the lightest production engine available in US, cheap and readily available. Perfect for small projects.

So I tried the amr500 it kinda worked but also failed because it’s forcing 10psi+ at closed throttle. I was spiking over 10psi and the 3A92 held up, although I didn’t ring her out much before pulling the amr500 off.

I’m now in the process of having head work and cams done and fabbing an Audi A2 turbo into the buggy.

The goal for the turbo setup is going to be 150hp with stock internals. So i’ll be able to let y’all know what these rods can handle pretty soon 😂

Again if anyone wishes to checkout the ARM500 Mirage i’ve got a video on my channel - https://youtu.be/1ZAcJfvg57Q

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirtGearTv For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-28-2020),Fummins (01-20-2024),MirageRally (02-14-2021)