Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aisin AMR500 supercharger

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Aisin AMR500 supercharger

Hello fellow Mirage owners,

Ive seen a few posts about superchargers from Speedlabs, but i think i found an inexpensive option.

drum roll

Aisin made a small supercharger for kei cars... AMR500... seems to be popular with old air cooled vws

they are all over ebay for under 300 bucks

obviously not a complete kit.. but its a start... i dont know if this is even something anyone might be intersted but thought i would share

Name:  amr500.jpeg
Views: 41230
Size:  9.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been giving some thought to this, myself.

For now, I'm holding off in favor of basic NA mods. Header, exhaust... maybe a lightweight flywheel. But, once I start playing with flash-tuning... this seems like almost a no-brainer for some cheap power.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    I don't know much about the internals of these engines. I'm thinking everything is fairly light-duty? I don't even know what the compression ratio of a Mirage engine is. Is it 9:1?

How much boost do you suppose this engine could support before you're sweeping up the pieces off the track?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The compression ratio is 10.5:1. So, its not low to begin with.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...pecifications)

What kind of pressures does Speedlab run with their kit?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The AMR500 is a 500cc displacement SC. Putting that into a 1.2 liter engine with its standard pulley is only going to generate 3-4 psi.

Enough to get you up to 85-90 hp. Maybe 95 if you've done some exhaust mods and proper tuning. I think the engine can handle that. Most engines have at least 25-30% of headroom in their design. I'd actually be more concerned about the transmission.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Unofficial Specs for Aisin Model AMR500
    New Mini Roots Type Supercharger.

Quote Originally Posted by superchargersunlimited.com

Unofficial Specs for Aisin Model AMR500
    New Mini Roots Type Supercharger.

Application: to increase performance on motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, VW engines, Mini Coopers, Subarus, Nissans, Toyotas or any engine under 3.0L.

500cc/ revolution (30.5 cu.in.) With straight, 2 lobe rotors. It could be over-driven, and make good boost on a 650cc-1000cc drag bikes or larger if RPM is kept low. Or it could be under-driven for smaller engines.

Examples:
    On a 500cc two stroke, with the blower being driven 1.5:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 7 psi boost.

On a 750cc four stroke, with the blower being driven 1:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 5 psi boost.

On a 750cc four stroke, with the blower being driven 1.5:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 15 psi boost.

On a 1000cc four stroke, with the blower being driven 1.5:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 9.5 psi boost.

On a 1600cc VW engine, with the blower being driven 2.1:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 5 psi, but the engine RPM must be limited to 8000 rpm.

Additional Info:
    Max blower continous speed is 16,000 RPM Before this, these were only available in Japan!
    This would be a great blower for any small engine up to 1200cc ( depending on RPM ).

Over all length is 6.75", Width is 8", Height from inlet to outlet 5.5" The 4 bolt inlet & outlet flanges makes it easy to fabricate custom mounts for manifolds, and carbs. The drive pulley diameter is aprox. 3" but could be changed out to a cog belt drive quite easily. We have no info on what modifications are needed to mount this unit on your engine. You will need to be capable of doing custom fabrication.

Summit Racing has a good book on supercharger applications called Street Supercharging. It sells for about $18, and is a good source of set-up information. It uses any OEM supercharger oil, such as Ford (a roots type supercharger was used on the Thunderbird), GM (the Bonneville SC uses a roots supercharger) and any of the aftermarket roots supercharger manufacturers such as B+M, Magnuson or Weiand.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-11-2018),Fit (09-12-2018)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if the CVT can handle a supercharger. Also dont want to void warranty.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I wonder if the CVT can handle a supercharger. Also dont want to void warranty.
    It's the same cvt as the spark, they have a little more power. Yeah supercharger would void warranty for sure. Though I've seen a guy get warranty engine in a trailblazer ss. He was running a dry shot of nitrous right into the intake boot before the throttle body. Had it wired to a momentary switch. Managed to run it like that for most of the summer before it went boom. Nice thing to do to a leased vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (05-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This looks great. I was just going to figure out how to make a Cooper Works unit work, but this just may be better
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's the same cvt as the spark, they have a little more power. Yeah supercharger would void warranty for sure. Though I've seen a guy get warranty engine in a trailblazer ss. He was running a dry shot of nitrous right into the intake boot before the throttle body. Had it wired to a momentary switch. Managed to run it like that for most of the summer before it went boom. Nice thing to do to a leased vehicle.
    Thats reassuring! A couple more horses would be cool. I would prefer this mod over the speedlab considering the fact the Rotrex C15-16 is about $2000 by itself. And the Speedlab price for the entire kit, as of today, is 3,328.50 US Dollars.

Did some research online and people are saying the car manufacturer would have to prove the supercharger was at fault or part of the problem.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire