Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Installing a Daox rear sway bar

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just installed my sway bar this afternoon. I ended up pulling the springs, which is super easy anyway. It took a small bit of finagling to get around those brake clips, but over all an easy installation. I went for a quick test drive and it's amazing how much this changes the handling. No more leaning! Great product.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-02-2018),inuvik (09-02-2018),MetroMPG (09-02-2018),Top_Fuel (09-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great to hear! Thanks for the feedback.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Finally got around to attempting the install.

Bolt heads are much too large to install thread down, and springs will most certainly contact in a bad way if I face threads up (which is a huge no no having the spring snag an edge like that on compression).

Will find some scrap nuts and cut the bolts down and clean the threads, or switch to different bolts if I can find a match.

Secondly, where has anybody relocated the brake line brackets to? There is simply no way to fit it with them where they are, as they are on the exact plane of the bar mount.

Long story short, high quality product, but unfortunately I will be needing to get my car up on a legit hoist so I can see what's going on more clearly. Using a high lifting jack in the driveway is just a bit too snug a fit to try and remount the back end!

Got a track day coming up this Friday. I'll use it for a "before" in some sort of comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Finally got around to attempting the install. Bolt heads are much too large to install thread down, and springs will most certainly contact in a bad way if I face threads up (which is a huge no no having the spring snag an edge like that on compression).
    I just lifted the car (normal spot you would use to change a rear flat tire) to stretch the rear springs. That allowed the bolts to drop in place. It's been some time since I did this, but I remember having to do it for the front or back bolts. I don't remember now. You don't have to take anything apart to drop the bolts in.

Once I got the bolts dropped in, I set the rear wheels down on some blocks of wood. That gave me enough room to slide underneath and install it.

I was able to wedge the sway bar in above the brake brackets, but it was a very tight fit. If you have a grinder or good hacksaw, you could remove a little of the material on the corners of the sway bar. I know someone has mentioned doing that.

I am sure others may have better suggestions. I like the rear sway bar. I could feel a difference before I even got out of my driveway. I was somewhat skeptical about what it would do. It's amazing what a simple bar can do. I hope it works out for you! I was a little frustrated at first with the installation, too. Being stubborn helps! Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-29-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Eh, if I can make it work I will. It's just that spring would have to be taken beyond full extension to get the bolt in. Very, very little room. My biggest issue is actually that I want full compression to check clearance at the head/threads. Granted the Mirage has about 2" of compression before it bottoms out so really if I can get them in it should be good to go with the threads down.

From what I saw, grinding the bar to clear the bracket wouldnt be possible without removing the majority of the corner (the part that needs to be strong). My brake line brackets sit approximately 1.5"x1.5" into the bar. If I remove that there will only be a spaghetti noodle attaching the bar itself to the coil buckets.

I will have to get under there, tap a new hole and relocate the brake lines. Which means I'm a few weeks out on install as I'm not doing it without a lift. That or I couldnt see properly and it's less extreme, in which case I most certainly need a lift to see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I just lifted the car (normal spot you would use to change a rear flat tire) to stretch the rear springs. That allowed the bolts to drop in place. It's been some time since I did this, but I remember having to do it for the front or back bolts. I don't remember now. You don't have to take anything apart to drop the bolts in.

Once I got the bolts dropped in, I set the rear wheels down on some blocks of wood. That gave me enough room to slide underneath and install it.

I was able to wedge the sway bar in above the brake brackets, but it was a very tight fit. If you have a grinder or good hacksaw, you could remove a little of the material on the corners of the sway bar. I know someone has mentioned doing that.

I am sure others may have better suggestions. I like the rear sway bar. I could feel a difference before I even got out of my driveway. I was somewhat skeptical about what it would do. It's amazing what a simple bar can do. I hope it works out for you! I was a little frustrated at first with the installation, too. Being stubborn helps! Good luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Finally got around to attempting the install.

Bolt heads are much too large to install thread down, and springs will most certainly contact in a bad way if I face threads up (which is a huge no no having the spring snag an edge like that on compression).

Will find some scrap nuts and cut the bolts down and clean the threads, or switch to different bolts if I can find a match.

Secondly, where has anybody relocated the brake line brackets to? There is simply no way to fit it with them where they are, as they are on the exact plane of the bar mount.

Long story short, high quality product, but unfortunately I will be needing to get my car up on a legit hoist so I can see what's going on more clearly. Using a high lifting jack in the driveway is just a bit too snug a fit to try and remount the back end!

Got a track day coming up this Friday. I'll use it for a "before" in some sort of comparison.
    Eh, if I can make it work I will. It's just that spring would have to be taken beyond full extension to get the bolt in. Very, very little room. My biggest issue is actually that I want full compression to check clearance at the head/threads. Granted the Mirage has about 2" of compression before it bottoms out so really if I can get them in it should be good to go with the threads down.

From what I saw, grinding the bar to clear the bracket wouldnt be possible without removing the majority of the corner (the part that needs to be strong). My brake line brackets sit approximately 1.5"x1.5" into the bar. If I remove that there will only be a spaghetti noodle attaching the bar itself to the coil buckets.

I will have to get under there, tap a new hole and relocate the brake lines. Which means I'm a few weeks out on install as I'm not doing it without a lift. That or I couldnt see properly and it's less extreme, in which case I most certainly need a lift to see what's going on.
    Post some pictures of your install attempt so we can get a better idea of the problems you are facing. An 1.5" of interference doesn't sound right.
    I posted my install and some measures I took - have a look.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Installed. Brake line brackets appeared reversed from most photos I have seen posted. Installed them the other way around, and had to remove the 1/8" that most of.

Holy ****ing transformation. Night. And. Day.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-29-2018),MetroMPG (09-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Glad to hear that you got it to work! It changes the entire feel of the car. I wouldn't leave home without my rear sway bar!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm very glad to hear you guys are liking the sway bar!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

bzacon (04-20-2019)

Haha!!

And just think of the fuel you're going to save* by not slowing down as much for curves!

(*may be offset by increased tire wear** )

(** may be offset by more fun)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

bzacon (04-20-2019)