Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Installing a Daox rear sway bar

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    The design changes included an alloy change on the tube, and a change to how they are welded to the end plates.

If people would like to pre-order that would be fine by me!

Any suggested torque spec on these mounting nuts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Installed mine last night on my 2015. Car drives so much better however now it squeaks a bit over some bumps. Can't win hahaha. Also was curious about torque specs but just got them good n tight so... hopefully that's good enough?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Installed mine last night on my 2015. Car drives so much better however now it squeaks a bit over some bumps. Can't win hahaha. Also was curious about torque specs but just got them good n tight so... hopefully that's good enough?

Installed mine today, not too difficult, although the front- most bolts got a little tricky to get a wrench on around the springs.. Cinched her down tight, and initial impressions are good. More stable in cornering and doesn't try to throw me out of my seat as bad as stock. Pleased with my purchase. Had limited time, so full shake down cruise to come later this week. Thanks, Daox.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-08-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm afraid I'm going to wait until the spring. I really don't feel like trying to install one in December weather in my driveway and I can't work on cars in other storage space I rent. Kind of stupid. it's ok to work on one type of ICE but not another. Oh well, that's what lease terms are all about.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    For what it is worth - I installed one of Daox's original rear sway bars in June of 2017. Tim has revised it twice since.

My rear sway bar squeaked at first, too. I only noticed it on bumps at low speeds. I took my bar off and remounted it. I haven't noticed any extra noise from the sway bar since. I suspect that I didn't have it on tight enough the first time. If you don't have a lift (which I don't), it's a little awkward working under the car.

If you read through his sway bar thread, the first designed was a tight fit with the rear brake line claps. In all honesty, I took it off to see if everything was still good under there after a period of time. When I reinstalled it the second time, the annoying squeak was gone.

I haven't heard many others complain about this squeak either. Thus, trying to tighten it down or reinstall may be worth a try? Just sharing my experience.

By the way - I wouldn't leave home without my rear sway bar. I particularly like how it stabilizes the car on the highway during windy days.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm afraid I'm going to wait until the spring. I really don't feel like trying to install one in December weather in my driveway and I can't work on cars in other storage space I rent. Kind of stupid. it's ok to work on one type of ICE but not another. Oh well, that's what lease terms are all about.

Got lucky here yesterday, as it was sunny and 44 degree F. Did mine on flat garage floor with the door open, and after crawling under and out a couple times, took my coat off!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My rear sway bar squeaked at first, too. I only noticed it on bumps at low speeds. I took my bar off and remounted it. I haven't noticed any extra noise from the sway bar since. I suspect that I didn't have it on tight enough the first time. If you don't have a lift (which I don't), it's a little awkward working under the car.
    Yes, bumps on low speeds. I'll try loosening it up and shifting it around a little bit and remounting it. Trying to get a wrench on those front bolts is a killer so I think I'll try to find something to go on them a bit better (vice grip maybe) and using the half inch drive for a little more torque.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yes, bumps on low speeds. I'll try loosening it up and shifting it around a little bit and remounting it. Trying to get a wrench on those front bolts is a killer so I think I'll try to find something to go on them a bit better (vice grip maybe) and using the half inch drive for a little more torque.
    It's been some time since I have done mine, but I agree it was a bit of challenge to tighten down good. I don't think this is something that requires a certain amount of torque. The tighter it's on the better!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used a half inch drive on the nuts, and a snap-on slim wrench on the nuts. I found to get the right angle I had to lean into the spring a little, but no marks, no harm, no foul.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    30 mile drive to work this morning, mostly highway. Car feels more stable. Does not get buffeted as much when passed by larger vehicles (I.e. semi's). She also feels more comfortable on the on/off ramps, which is great, and the ride is still smooth. If anyone on here (new or old) ever desired a bit less movement on the road, I highly suggest this bar. Reasonably priced and does the job. I say we call it the "Daox Damper"; I'll sell the name for 5%, Daox, lol.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-11-2019),MetroMPG (12-09-2019)