Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Installing a Daox rear sway bar

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just had mine snap off over here, as well. I installed it about 6 months ago when the car had ~500 miles on the odometer, the car now has ~4500 miles. Same point of failure as others - along the weld:

Name:  messages_0.jpeg
Views: 646
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  messages_1.jpeg
Views: 650
Size:  81.3 KB

It was great while it lasted, boys! Instantly notice the horrific body roll come back to the car when it happened. Seems I'll have to look into getting my hands on that other brand's version that's kicking around, because I can't enjoy this car at all with the stock ride :'(

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (08-01-2021),Top_Fuel (04-10-2021)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Same point of failure as others - along the weld:
    Mine has different weld point, installed it 5 years ago and still in good shape.
    Name:  20180323_095611.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  97.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeYourSOUL View Post
    Mine has different weld point, installed it 5 years ago and still in good shape.
    Name:  20180323_095611.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  97.6 KB
    I've seen the weld broken on that style in the past, too! I have no doubt it may hold up better, however. I wonder if your bar will actually flex some? I think the stress is quite great, which means the bars are doing something. Some flex, twist, or give in the rear sway bar may be better than being rock solid with no give.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah that looks like the ultra racing one but orange. I think I'll try my luck with that and I've been considering getting the godspeed coilover kit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    These bars really are doing a ton of work. The rear end is so damn floppy, it's honestly unsafe on American roads at American speeds. Must be made of aluminum foil.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (04-16-2021)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wonder if your bar will actually flex some? I think the stress is quite great, which means the bars are doing something. Some flex, twist, or give in the rear sway bar may be better than being rock solid with no give.
    I think that too. Actually I prefer some flex, this bar is too solid but it works for me since I'm using my car for city ride only. I have different car for intercity ride.
    Last edited by FreeYourSOUL; 04-11-2021 at 06:29 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Looks like the kind of tear you'd get from twisting a soda can in two, if you could do it without crushing it. Got some serious torque on that bar, for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I just had mine snap off over here, as well. I installed it about 6 months ago when the car had ~500 miles on the odometer, the car now has ~4500 miles. Same point of failure as others - along the weld:

Name:  messages_0.jpeg
Views: 646
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  messages_1.jpeg
Views: 650
Size:  81.3 KB

It was great while it lasted, boys! Instantly notice the horrific body roll come back to the car when it happened. Seems I'll have to look into getting my hands on that other brand's version that's kicking around, because I can't enjoy this car at all with the stock ride :'(
    i think this is really meant to happen because the rear cross member is a torsion bar so it meant to twist its like you converted a independent suspension and turn it into solid. the material they used on front stabilizer bar is a good replacement for that pipe i think because it can twist you just gave me an idea.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have you considered trying an Air Lift system? Sounds like it would suit your needs better.
    no i havent, yeah just looked thats way too expensive lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    i think this is really meant to happen because the rear cross member is a torsion bar so it meant to twist its like you converted a independent suspension and turn it into solid. the material they used on front stabilizer bar is a good replacement for that pipe i think because it can twist you just gave me an idea.
    You may or may not have seen this thread -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ar-alternative

Daox tried a few things before developing his rear sway bar.

The Ultra Racing one appears like it may flex some? I have seen someone sharing the broken weld on UR one, but I haven't search for that pic.

I don't think the electric steering helps the Mirage's handling characteristics. I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva for 14 years (smaller, lighter than a Mirage), & it handled better. It didn't have power steering. Then again the Festiva (1988-1993) was designed by Mazda, which is known for their good driving characteristics.

Last edited by Mark; 04-14-2021 at 06:17 PM.