Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Installing a Daox rear sway bar

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Recently ordered the sway bar from Daox and installed it last night. Leaving some thoughts here for any future people considering about this, and maybe other owners who can chime in with some advice:

1. First thing's first: other countries may be different, but if you are driving this car in the United States, you should install this bar. I'm not saying this for "performance" or "road feel," but for safety. From factory this car has far too much body roll for American style driving and speed - it is legitimately unsafe. Either people will rear end you because you will be slowing down too much for maneuvering, or you will lose control trying to keep up with everyone else. Installing this bar will make your Mirage handle like a "regular" car and be much more predictable at regular speeds. I cannot stress this enough. Your life is not worth the $150 you will save by not doing this.

2. My understanding is that there have been some revisions to the design of this bar, with the initial ones not properly clearing brake lines in some cases. Assuming I have the latest revision (Sept. 2020), this is no longer an issue and this sway bar is 100% plug and play.

3. Regarding the two sets of bolts you need to drop into the spring seats to install this bar: you will need to jack up the car to install the two that get dropped into the holes closest to the rear of the car. This is pretty easy, though - just use your factory scissor jack and jack points towards the rear of the car. Do one side at a time. I did this, drop the bolts in, and then took the car for a spin around the block real quick to settle the torsion bar back to a neutral state.

4. Tightening the nuts onto the bolts holding the sway bar in place is at once the most important and most ball-achingly brutal part of the install. The bolts are sitting on smooth washers in the spring seat, and the nuts that Daox supplies with the kit are good ones with a nylon locking seal on them, making them resist tightening. The result is that the bolt will just spin in place if you try tightening the nut down without simultaneously, very strongly gripping the head of the bolt. This is complicated by the lip of the spring seat and the spring itself being in your way, as well as being unable to jack up the car for fear of screwing up the resting position of the torsion bar. I was able to (with the use of much profanity) grip the head of the bolts with an adjustable wrench while tightening the nuts down, but it was extremely difficult, and I do not think I was able to tighten things down enough. I need to go crawling under the car again tonight for round 2, as loose bolts seem to result in "clanking" coming from the rear end, which I've heard a couple of times during my test drives. Any advice from other members on how to reliably tighten down the nuts (at least to the point that I can reliably grip a torque wrench with both hands while doing it) is greatly appreciated!

5. Having this seat bar installed does not increase the noise coming from your rear end. As others in this thread have pointed out, if you are hearing new clanks and groans after installing this bar, you have not tightened down the bolts enough. I was able to get the rear-most bolts to 70ft-lbs, and the front most bolts to 35ft-lbs (tightening the front ones is extremely difficult and I would have got them to 70ft-lbs as well, if I could), and this was enough to keep the rear end quiet and happy.

6. This does not result in a harsher ride, at least as far as my butt can tell. You're still on super soft shocks and springs, and adding this bar won't do anything to change that. The only thing this bar seems to do is virtually eliminate the egregious body roll this car has from factory - and that's a good thing.

So, in conclusion, thumbs up to Daox on a great, affordable product that works as advertised and will save lives. If any members have advice on tightening those bolts, I'd love to hear it!

Last edited by PityOnU; 09-18-2020 at 07:10 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-10-2020),inuvik (09-10-2020),MetroMPG (09-18-2020),Top_Fuel (09-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Recently ordered the sway bar from Daox and installed it last night. Leaving some thoughts here for any future people considering about this, and maybe other owners who can chime in with some advice:

1. First thing's first: other countries may be different, but if you are driving this car in the United States, you should install this bar. I'm not saying this for "performance" or "road feel," but for safety. From factory this car has far too much body roll for American style driving and speed - it is legitimately unsafe. Either people will rear end you because you will be slowing down too much for maneuvering, or you will lose control trying to keep up with everyone else. Installing this bar will make your Mirage handle like a "regular" car and be much more predictable at regular speeds. I cannot stress this enough. Your life is not worth the $150 you will save by not doing this.

2. My understanding is that there have been some revisions to the design of this bar, with the initial ones not properly clearing brake lines in some cases. Assuming I have the latest revision (Sept. 2020), this is no longer an issue and this sway bar is 100% plug and play.

3. Regarding the two sets of bolts you need to drop into the spring seats to install this bar: you will need to jack up the car to install the two that get dropped into the holes closest to the rear of the car. This is pretty easy, though - just use your factory scissor jack and jack points towards the rear of the car. Do one side at a time. I did this, drop the bolts in, and then took the car for a spin around the block real quick to settle the torsion bar back to a neutral state.

4. Tightening the nuts onto the bolts holding the sway bar in place is at once the most important and most ball-achingly brutal part of the install. The bolts are sitting on smooth washers in the spring seat, and the nuts that Daox supplies with the kit are good ones with a nylon locking seal on them, making them resist tightening. The result is that the bolt will just spin in place if you try tightening the nut down without simultaneously, very strongly gripping the head of the bolt. This is complicated by the lip of the spring seat and the spring itself being in your way, as well as being unable to jack up the car for fear of screwing up the resting position of the torsion bar. I was able to (with the use of much profanity) grip the head of the bolts with an adjustable wrench while tightening the nuts down, but it was extremely difficult, and I do not think I was able to tighten things down enough. I need to go crawling under the car again tonight for round 2, as loose bolts seem to result in "clanking" coming from the rear end, which I've heard a couple of times during my test drives. Any advice from other members on how to reliably tighten down the nuts (at least to the point that I can reliably grip a torque wrench with both hands while doing it) is greatly appreciated!

5. The rear end does seem to be a little louder with this sway bar installed. It's not obnoxious, and may be related to under tightening the bolts (I will remove this point if tightening resolves the issue), but you will start hearing the odd clank or groan here and there.

6. This does not result in a harsher ride, at least as far as my butt can tell. You're still on super soft shocks and springs, and adding this bar won't do anything to change that. The only thing this bar seems to do is virtually eliminate the egregious body roll this car has from factory - and that's a good thing.

So, in conclusion, thumbs up to Daox on a great, affordable product that works as advertised and will save lives. If any members have advice on tightening those bolts, I'd love to hear it!
    Nice summary of the installation process.

step 3 - When I lifted the rear (to stretch out the rear spring a bit) to drop in the rear bolts, I set the rear tire back down a solid section a 4x4 block of wood on both sides. The rear was still level but raised 4". I did that to make working under the car a bit easier. This does involved lifting the car a second time when you are done to remove the blocks. I probably could have pushed the car off the blocks, but I didn't want to damage the new installation.

step 5 - At first, my rear axle creaked and groaned some at low parking lot/driveway speeds. I didn't have the bolts tightened enough. Once I tightened them a second time, I have never noticed the noise again, & I have a 1st generation Daox rear sway bar.

I feel the sway bar also makes the car more stable when traveling at high speeds & dealing with strong crosswinds.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was able to get back under the car and tighten the bolts more. No more noise! I have updated my post above to reflect that.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-18-2020),Mark (09-19-2020),MetroMPG (09-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want one of these for my 2020 es hatch ... but unlike most of you, I will not be able to install it myself.

can I go to a car place and have them do it? is that a bad idea? tips suggestions for those of us that need help with this please
    Last edited by mrsray; 09-22-2020 at 04:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsray View Post
    I want one of these for my 2020 ex hatch ... but unlike most of you, I will not be able to install it myself.

can I go to a car place and have them do it? is that a bad idea? tips suggestions for those of us that need help with this please
    It's a super easy peasy install. You could do it yourself but it is much easier with a helper (it doesn't have to be a adult). You just need a socket set and wrench set to tighten the four bolts. It's literally a 10-15 minute install.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I concur with the above. Anyone that can use a socket wrench and/or crescent wrench can install it. If you have to pay someone, dont let them bill you for an hour!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It's a super easy peasy install.
    even for an old lady that has never worked on a car, huh? ... i might have to give it a try LOL

where's the link to buy?
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post67006
    that link goes to an 'alternative' to the sway bar
    Last edited by mrsray; 09-22-2020 at 04:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Installing mine this week sometime. Should get here tonight.

Might make a video for install and impressions. Wouldn’t be super quality but why not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsray View Post
    even for an old lady that has never worked on a car, huh? ... i might have to give it a try LOL
    If the old lady is in a wheelchair, she may not be able to pull it off? In my area, an independent mechanic's shop would put on it & charge a half hour of labor. If I offered to pay cash, they wouldn't even make out a slip or charge tax.

I had to lift the rear of the car some to get two of the bolts to slip past the spring. If it is not bolted on tight, it may squeak some.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ALRIGHT.

SO!

I unfortunately didn’t make an installation video. What made this the easiest was jacking the rear corners up one at a time to extend the spring and clear the perches for the back bolts.

Got all four in, lifted the bar and suspended with lock nuts. Again, jacked up one corner at a time, so I could get the adjustable wrench to each bolt. Got them as tight as I could, repeated the other side, dropped the whole rear ended and went back under and cranked those suckers down until I couldn’t anymore.

My wife took the first test drive, and was so so so giddy and told me “find out for yourself” when I asked if it was better.

HOLY $?!@.

I DIDNT EXPECT THIS.

I love it. The car feels SO much more stable than it used to. Way more confident around corners. And trust me. I threw it into a few. And instead of rolling and feeling unstable, it just dug in and went where I told it to.

Dudes. Get this bar. It’s like a whole new car.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MCMfan92 For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-14-2020),inuvik (10-14-2020),MetroMPG (10-14-2020)