Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: DIY: Installing a Daox rear sway bar

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I had those ordered and Amazon cancelled on me. The importer is only doing cup holders and such nonsense these days.

To add insult to injury my plasma cutter is dinked, I dunno what went wrong. And.....my buddy with the small shop tells me there is a backorder of 3-4 months on fairly priced 4130 moly material. It may be Sept before my 1st rear bar is fabricated. FML.

oH, and I had foot surgery, I had a horrible bunion, so bad my left foot was useless and this was 2 years after an OP to fix it! A hack operated on me and made it worse. My most recent OP with a Prof of Ortho surgery hopefully went much better. I see him in 10-12 days for a 1st meeting after surgery. It's going to be 6-10 weeks before I can fully use my left foot again.

I WILL NOT throw away another summer on a couch due to health problems.
    Bummer! I hope your health issues get resolved soon!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark. I hope so to.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Bushing mirage.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  28.6 KBName:  mirage bushing 2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  17.6 KBName:  new weld.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  39.1 KB

So the sway bar link bushings I used when I installed the Daox bar 37,000 miles ago are in bad shape. Could be due to the Krown spray. I say this becasue the forward bushing which is less exposed is not nearly as cracked. Either way they had to be replaced. Since the bar had to come off I decided to use stainless socket head bolts and toss the hex head bolts as it is difficult to get a wrench in there. While the bar was off I noticed the finish at the pipe to bracket weld area had flaked off. This is where they tend to break. I don't know if the finish flaked off due to the torsional stress or not. Maybe the exposed metal here cause rust and integrity issues. Either way I really like the bar and will try to maintain it as best as I can. So i took the bar to have it sandblasted. In hopes of increasing longevity I also had some extra welding put on it as shown. The bar is currently at the powder coaters having a satin black finish applied. More pictures to come when I pick it up hopefully late this week. I am installing another set of sway bar link bushings between the bar and the bottom of the axle assembly to absorb some of the stress. If I have to change them every 30-40K in order to keep the bar from breaking I am ok with that.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (11-07-2023),Marklovski (11-08-2023),Top_Fuel (11-08-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think your bushings are helping out. My bar unfortunately broke after 20k miles. So whatever you're doing keep doing it.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I think your bushings are helping out. My bar unfortunately broke after 20k miles. So whatever you're doing keep doing it.
    Also I forgot to mention the bar was used (Unknown mileage) when I bought it from Aries K.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Also I forgot to mention the bar was used (Unknown mileage) when I bought it from Aries K.
    I think I only put like 8000 miles on the car with the bar installed. Wasn't too many.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I reinstalled the Daox bar after having it sandblasted, extra welding added and powdercoated. I also used socket head stainless bolts and new hard rubber bushings between the bar and the axle. I tightened pretty tight ... hopefully leaving enough flex in the bushings to take some pressure off thebar. I have about 40,000 miles on the bar plus the 8,000 Aries K put on before I bought it. I like the difference the bar makes and am doing my best to make it last as long as the car. I had to pry the spring to the side to get the hex key in the front bolt but it seemed to work out ok. I also used the black washers that came in the sway bar kit. They will probably rust and I may go back to stainless washers next time the bushings fail.
    Name:  sway bar 1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  17.8 KBName:  sway bar 2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  46.2 KBName:  sway bar 3.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  38.5 KBName:  sway bar 4.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  48.3 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-20-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I reinstalled the Daox bar after having it sandblasted, extra welding added and powdercoated. I also used socket head stainless bolts and new hard rubber bushings between the bar and the axle. I tightened pretty tight ... hopefully leaving enough flex in the bushings to take some pressure off thebar. I have about 40,000 miles on the bar plus the 8,000 Aries K put on before I bought it. I like the difference the bar makes and am doing my best to make it last as long as the car. I had to pry the spring to the side to get the hex key in the front bolt but it seemed to work out ok. I also used the black washers that came in the sway bar kit. They will probably rust and I may go back to stainless washers next time the bushings fail.
    It's nice to see that your experiment with the rear sway bar is working. I went through two of them, but I liked what they did for my Mirage.

Thanks for sharing with us!!!!