Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jalopnik takes another swing at it...

Jalopnik takes another swing at it...

Jalopnik lobs another one ...

The new Mitsubishi Mirage...

...produces just 74 horsepower and 74 lb-ft of torque. Dang. I think there are lawnmowers with more power than that.
    http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the...age-1449410208

Then a commenter posted this and I have to admit I laughed...

From: http://sniffpetrol.com/2013/02/19/no...ubishi-mirage/

It's interesting to watch the back & forth in the comments. Some people get this car. Others, not so much.

The comment that bugs me most is: "The car is universally panned in the media in markets where it has been available...."

Nope. It isn't. Not by a long shot.

But that's the line people are being fed by the Mirage's Wikipedia page. (Wikipedia's page for the new Mirage / Space Star is not good)

----

UPDATE: Jalop has posted a full-length review of the car... US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage: The Jalopnik Review (jalopnik.com

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    You have to keep in mind that the "media" that Jalopnik is referring to are enthusiast magazines and websites focused on supercars and concepts, i.e. Jalopnik.

Not that it matters. Jalopnik & Co. "universally panned" the 2012 Civic, which went on to totally own the sales numbers anyway. They're currently doing the same to the 2014 Corolla, which will still sell like hotcakes regardless.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    They totally miss the point here, most of the magazines are so obsessed with the horsepower. I seriously don't know why you need 100+ HP on a daily car to bring you from home to work? You will need sooooo much more money to pay for the speeding ticket in Europe, it's not even fun to drive anymore! That's also the reason why I got cruise control installed, not for the luxury but to avoid speeding tickets and speeding booths.
    Just 2 days ago when I got back from a trip to Germany I was being taken over by a Porsche just to found out 10 km further he got held by dutch border police for speeding! Dumbass!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just 2 days ago when I got back from a trip to Germany I was being taken over by a Porsche just to found out 10 km further he got held by dutch border police for speeding! Dumbass!
    I love it when that sort of thing happens just does not happen enough

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    LOL we laughed so hard the Mirage we're in started shaking

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (11-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Jalopnik & Co. "universally panned" the 2012 Civic, which went on to totally own the sales numbers anyway.
    True! Though the criticism did cause Honda to sit up & take notice. They reworked quite a few elements of the "new" Civic within a year or so of its launch.

And also there is the best-selling subcompact in the U.S: the "universally panned" Nissan Versa sedan (Tiida). That fact must cause a fair bit of cognitive dissonance among the usual auto scribes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most people judging the car badly have prly never driven it!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Actually dutch reviewers are quite positive about the Space Star. I saw 2 from AutoWeek and another from youtube i forgot which one, those were the drive for me to choose Space Star/Mirage as the replacement car for my Fiesta.

As to the comment of the 74 HP, it's bull crap, check the Seat Mii, it produces only 60 HP.

Agrees totally with grsupercity, they are typical example of the classical "judging the book by it's cover".

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I got the 2013 Civic back in Feb. and I love this car so damn much. It handles and drives like a dream. I should have gotten the Si, but I am not even mad. I only want the Mirage because I deliver pizzas part time so I could leave my wife with the Civic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
    I only want the Mirage because I deliver pizzas part time so I could leave my wife with the Civic.
    Hey, in this part of the world, pizza deliveries are done on 100cc, single-cylinder, 4-stroke bikes. Those things have, like, 5 hp. 74 hp will be plenty!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-30-2013)