Thread: Topping off the Battery

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Topping off the Battery

Just a check in: Four years with my 2014 Mirage, and the original battery (and everything else) is still running like a champ! I've just had to add some distilled water about once a year, so far.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    I’ve gotten 3 years so far out of mine but only because it’s so mild here weather wise. I plan on replacing it this fall. The OEM battery is pretty weak so 4 years is pretty impressive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The OEM battery is actually pretty good.
    I have no issues with starting even after the car sits at work for 8 hrs in -30°C weather.
    I have found over the last several vehicles the battery that comes with a new car lasts longer than any of the aftermarket ones that have replaced them.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    The OEM battery is actually pretty good.
    I have no issues with starting even after the car sits at work for 8 hrs in -30°C weather.
    I have found over the last several vehicles the battery that comes with a new car lasts longer than any of the aftermarket ones that have replaced them.
    You must have gotten a decent one because mine has never instilled great confidence. It has struggled when the temps have dropped into the mid 30's here (2-3C) from the beginning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I've only had to change 2 or 3 batteries so far(out of 30+ cars) One was just weak and the other was killed and frozen at least once. The cars with the newer batteries crank way faster than the other cars. I'll load test them before fall, I imagine there's going to be a few weak ones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-06-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    My OEM Hitachi battery lasted me just over four years. I replaced it with a locally made Motolite Enduro "maintenance free" battery (of which I tore off the warranty sticker and refilled when the 15-month warranty expired). So far so good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    On my 2014 model the battery is still fully in order. I have topped it once yearly without overfilling it.