Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch Kit only $92 TODAY ONLY

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I used to hate when customers would supply their own parts.
    When customers supply the proper parts but they're cheap garbage and fail far sooner than they should have the customer usually get's irate and blames the shop.
    Any shop that installs off-brand customer-supplied parts these days is crazy. The shop is not trying to rip you off...they just don't want the headache.

Related story...

I recently took a couple of key fobs into a Nissan dealer to have them programmed. The service advisor looked at me and asked.."Where did you get these things?" I told him I got them on eBay...but that I had verified they were OEM Nissan fobs with the proper FCC Id for the vehicle and they had new batteries. He just nodded and commented about all the junk aftermarket fobs people had brought in to have programmed (many wouldn't work). He just warned me that whether or not the fobs could be programmed, I was getting charged $90 for an hour of labor. I was good with that. Fortunately they programmed just fine...but I'm sure a lot of customers paid a $90 bill and got nothing because their fobs were garbage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, ok guys. Thank you for giving me a different perspective and another way of looking at it.

I was under the assumption that shop was just wanting to sell me their own parts since they have a steep mark-up on them.

Back when I was a twenty-something that knew very little I went to a mechanic to have my brakes changed and the mechanic said it would be 120$ and I asked him "But what if I bring my own brake pads from Autzone?" and he said "The price is still 120$ whether I bring my own parts or not. "

So I was guaging the situation based on that past encounter. And also in case you havent noticed I am very mistrustful of people in general because I live in a bad neighborhood and surrounded by scoundrels and cheats. So my life experience is a little more jaded than most of you guys.

I bought a 3 bedroom house for 60k. That was 3 years ago. I wish I could afford to move to a better neighborhood but I can only sell my house for around 175k in todays market and to move to the nicer neighborhood the houses start at 300k so I am working very hard to upgrade my skillset in order to get a better job but its going to take me at least 6 months and maybe up to 1 year that I need to tolerate the bad neighborhood, loud rap music and the daily crime
    Last edited by fc321; 06-29-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post

I bought a 3 bedroom house for 60k. That was 3 years ago. I wish I could afford to move to a better neighborhood but I can only sell my house for around 175k in todays market and to move to the nicer neighborhood the houses start at
    That's a decent profit! I just sold my house for 5k more than I paid 5 years ago. After dumping 20k worth of renos to it this year. Still a far better investment than most of my vehicles though.

Edit: Wait a minute...You don't have money to move to a better house but you just spent $100 on a part that don't need and likely won't need until years down the road.

I'm not gonna criticize you cause I sometimes follow similar logic.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-29-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's a decent profit! I just sold my house for 5k more than I paid 5 years ago. After dumping 20k worth of renos to it this year. Still a far better investment than most of my vehicles though.

Edit: Wait a minute...You don't have money to move to a better house but you just spent $100 on a part that don't need and likely won't need until years down the road.

I'm not gonna criticize you cause I sometimes follow similar logic.

Yeah, it was a calculated risk, I was thinking that this car is so unpopular in the USA and also read that other thread about the Mirage taxi that needed a new clutch at 60k miles (96,560 km). Who knows if I made the right decision but I have in the past had opportunities where I failed to act and later regretted it terribly.

I just want to do everything I can to make sure that I am not "The guy that payed 1200$ ($1600 cad) for new clutch installed" and at least I have the satisfaction to know now that I have evaded that particular bad scenario.

I dropped over $100 on a bad date last year with a girl that would not even let me kiss her on the mouth so certainly there are worst ways to spend 95$ =)

About the house It cost 60k but i had to spend at least 40k to get it in livable condition.

EDIT: I actually meant the infamous thread about the guy that wore out his clutch in 40,000 miles here it is:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...age-taxi/page2
    Last edited by fc321; 07-01-2018 at 03:22 AM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I think that particular incident of the clutch failing so early was due to not adjusting the clutch (members have reported that clutches are not adjusted correctly from the factory and need adjustment). Fortunately it’s super easy to adjust th clutch free play. Also, some drivers just can’t wrap their heads around driving a manual transmission properly. The old “Just because you can, doesn’t mean that you should”. I’ll use my darling wife as an example. Any manual transmission vehicle we’ve ever owned she’ll rev it up to around 3k at a dead stop in neutral and slowly let the clutch engage every time. No amount of coaching, cringing, begging would make any difference. Just let that clutch plate cook every take off. So that’s why no more manual transmissions for her which is why I bought a Mirage with a CVT. Although now due to her medical condition she can’t drive anymore so I would like to return to a stick for my next Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm around 205k miles. Last week the car started to stutter while accelerating. I think the issue is a fuel pump and I plan to order one soon. But just in case it is the clutch, I have one sitting on the shelf.

Paying $100 for a clutch disk is nice insurance. I just hope I can gets fuel.pump without paying an arm and a leg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My advice to everyone is to enjoy aftermarket parts when you can get them.

I couldn't find any aftermarket fuel pumps for this car. The OEM part is about $600. I got lucky and found a used one on eBay for $40.