Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drum brakes after four years and 65 000km with pix

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    I went to change my granddaughter's 2017 mirage g4 es rear brakes today and found the shoes I ordered online didn't fit. I've been trying to find the problem and found this thread. Her brakes are identical to the 2014 picture of the European Mitsubishi. It was purchased here in FL new.
    1.) Measure the inner diameter of the drums.

2.) Look at post number one and number four of this thread. You have all the info you need right there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I've been trying to find the problem and found this thread. Her brakes are identical to the 2014 picture of the European Mitsubishi. It was purchased here in FL new.
    Hello Sven and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks Top Fuel. I got the Raybestos 1059PG, which many auto parts stores say fit all 2017 mirage g4 es. They don't. I don't see anywhere that there's 2 different shoes for 2017. As I said, my granddaughter's has the star adjuster and brake shoe hold down springs. As you know, many times the pictures shown when you order online aren't always true illustrations of what the actual part looks like. I tried contacting the Mitsubishi dealer parts dept. where the car was purchased yesterday (Saturday) before noon but got no answer. I'll try tomorrow and see if they can help me find the correct shoes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...I got the Raybestos 1059PG...
    I just looked at the Mitsubishi parts website (see image below). I didn't realize this, but Mirages come with 1 of 2 different brake shoes depending on the year of the vehicle...

Name:  brake shoes.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  33.0 KB

The Raybestos 1059PG that you have will only fit a 2014-2015 Mirage. For a 2017 or later model, you need Raybestos 778PG (according to RockAuto.com). They also list Wagner Z924 and a couple of other options.

Mirages are a bit odd and the aftermarket support for these cars is a little weak. Sometimes the parts houses just have bad info on these cars. The good news is you don't have to get brake shoes from the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks again. I got the shoes from Rockauto. I haven't looked since you replied, but they showed the 1059's as being for a 2017. I'll check the 778s out. Several sites show a couple different shoes and all say for the 2017. But some show a 7" shoe and some a 8" shoe. It's very strange and confusing. At my age and many cars over my life, I've changed many of a brake for my own cars as well as family. Many cars I've seen have different size drums and shoes for the same year (like standard or heavy duty) but nothing showing the 2017 Mirage being one of them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let us know what part number you end up going with...and which one actually works! Hopefully the RockAuto numbers are correct now?!? In any case, you know if someone tries to sell you the same part number for a 2017+ that works on a 2014-2015, then it's probably the wrong part.

Be sure to check out this post. The Raybestos 1059PG shoes fit this person's 2015 Mirage...but he still needed to modify them slightly with a file to get the parking brake cable to fit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I sure will. That's another odd thing. My brakes are identical to Foama's (a 2014) that are shown above on the right, the other, on the left, a 2015 which are supposed to be the same??? It would seem, if correct, that Mitsubishi went back to the 2014 design which seems to be strange also. I'll let you know want I find out.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    My brake guy said if you drive normal those shoes should last 80 to 100k miles considering they dont do much vs the front pads and the Mirage is so light weight. So this might be the last you have to deal with them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Dirk Diggler, that's correct. But I usually change all at the same time. I had just done the front pads. No problem with getting the correct pads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...My brakes are identical to Foama's (a 2014) that are shown above on the right, the other, on the left, a 2015 which are supposed to be the same?
    Foama is in Germany...so he has a Europen-spec Mirage. Apparently Mirages built for the European market have always used the rear drum brake setup on the right. Only North American-spec Mirages in 2014-2015 use that setup shown on the left.

So that image should say this to clear up the confusion...

Name:  brake_compare.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  101.6 KB