Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Drum brakes after four years and 65 000km with pix

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I never noticed this before but why is the lining on the left shoe so much higher than the right? i thought the two shoes were suppose to be identical?
    Could it be the angle of the pic taken?

I don't think the entire brake shoe lining is visible on the right side. The complete view of it looks partly blocked to me.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Could it be the angle of the pic taken?

I don't think the entire brake shoe lining is visible on the right side. The complete view of it looks partly blocked to me.
    The lining on the left bracket is higher than on the right side. This is normal and was seen on other Mirage.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I rolled 72,000 Kms this week and of course it was marked on my calendar as rear brake inspection/service. Just as it appears winter is rolling in. So far no telltale noises from the rear brakes which can change overnight. If, a big if, we get another 50F sunny dry day I can pop the drums and do a quick service. I've the drums, shoes and hardware kit in stock. But I'd rather not mess with brakes till the spring.

Thanks Foama for sharing. I learned things which is always good. Oh, if I need fluid to top up? Silicone? Plain? 3 or 4?

ETA: So I got curious about what I have stocked. The brake drums/shoes are the fully coated for rust prone areas , but lack bearing, and are stamped 181MM MAX, which I gather is 2014 model year for sure? They came from Advance Auto and I recall they were $25 US / each.

OK, I get it now. Drum are scarce and expensive. Raid the boneyard for good drums.

Are there any reasonable kits to convert the rear drums to discs? N/M. dumb question
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-18-2022 at 06:05 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    . The brake drums/shoes are the fully coated for rust prone areas , but lack bearing, and are stamped 181MM MAX, which I gather is 2014 model year for sure? They came from Advance Auto and I recall they were $25 US / each.

OK, I get it now. Drum are scarce and expensive. Raid the boneyard for good drums.

Are there any reasonable kits to convert the rear drums to discs? N/M. dumb question
    I would not convert the rear drum brakes to discs, but in the US and with meager 180mm drums, I would certainly consider converting to 203mm rear drum brakes! They last so much longer.

Brake fluid is DOT4. When doing a brake job, there usually is no need to top up the canister, in fact the fluid level increases with new linings. Fluid should be replaced every few years because it is hydroscopic, and the increasing water content pits brake cylinders from inside $$$!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-19-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I would not convert the rear drum brakes to discs, but in the US and with meager 180mm drums, I would certainly consider converting to 203mm rear drum brakes! They last so much longer.

Brake fluid is DOT4. When doing a brake job, there usually is no need to top up the canister, in fact the fluid level increases with new linings. Fluid should be replaced every few years because it is hydroscopic, and the increasing water content pits brake cylinders from inside $$$!!!
    I guess I have about 125,000 km of rear drum life left as I have 2 sets of rear 180mm drums and 2 sets of ceramic shoes. I can't find my 203mm drums but I have invoices that say I own a set. Note to self. When you stock on parts make a list and post it somewhere prominent. Did I mention I also found some very nice, expensive but probably crappy now, winter wipers in both 16 & 24" sizes. Those I do KNOW age out and become crud just sitting.

ETA. I thought DOT 4 was impervious to moisture because it's based not on water but some synthetic that shuns water.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

My car had 302,000km when I replaced the rear brakes. I have zero reason to believe they were replaced before that. Most work cars last that long too.

The only difference I've seen between the two style of rear brakes is the newer(2017+ style) don't seem to collect rocks and groove the drums as often as the 14-15 style. I guess if you're looking to get 500,000km from a set of drums and have your car last 800,000km or more then I guess it makes sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The lining on the left bracket is higher than on the right side. This is normal and was seen on other Mirage.
    What is the purpose of the lining being higher on one side? Also are the bends in your shoes(they look like triangles, 3 per shoe) so that the shoe can deform and have better contact with the drum?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    ... I thought DOT 4 was impervious to moisture because it's based not on water but some synthetic that shuns water.
    DOT3 just as DOT4 are hygroscopic and thus absorbs moisture out of the surrounding air. That is why it makes good sense to change the fluid every few years. Fluid with water has a lower boiling point, but that doesn't bother me with this car. Of concern is that the insides of the braking system can become rusty. Cylinders with rust inside cause major repairs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-20-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    What is the purpose of the lining being higher on one side? Also are the bends in your shoes(they look like triangles, 3 per shoe) so that the shoe can deform and have better contact with the drum?
    Drums like these are very common. There is only one brake cylinder per wheel. decades ago two were common. With "only" one cylinder, one shoe is is leading (right in pix) and the other trailing. If both shoes were the same, the trailing shoe would produce less braking effect at the same pressure from the cylinder than the leading one. That is why the trailing shoe has more lining towards the cylinder. They produce similar braking forces that way.

Those triangular "bends" on the carrier material can be seen on shoes of various makers, on some others not. Why one does it that way while a different maker does not? Your guess is as good as mine. I wouldn't worry about that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Car is at about 120k miles. Drum brakes scare me so I haven't taken a look at it. Should I have someone check it out?

I guess I could make an appointment at the "Brake Check" 35 mins from me (assuming service is cheaper there since they only do brakes) or just take it to the local "Firestone" fill-auto-repair which is 10 mins down the road. Decisions decisions.