Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Size Questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hey has your 175s caused you any transmission problems? I read on here that might be a thing?
    I don't recall anyone having a transmission issue related to 175 tires. I have heard of people being denied warranty work being done, because stock size tires were changed. I found this post below -

"CAUTION:

I had a good conversation with a service rep at Mitsubishi. I explained the alignment issue and they had never heard of it. I further talked about my tire change and I was surprised at the response. Someone else had changed to 175s, had a transmission issue that they could not figure out. After hours of exhaustive research, they blamed the tire size as the issue. Mitsubishi denied the transmission warranty due to incorrect tire size. Customer out $5000.

OMG!"

Sounds like more of an excuse by Mitsubishi to avoid having to do $5000 of warranty work to someone's car, but who knows? If changing your tires from 165/65-14 to 175/65-14 makes your transmission go out, it's a pretty lame set up to begin with.

There's some value in sticking with stock size/quality items on cars still under warranty. I checked into tire options prior to purchasing a Mirage. Since the two factory sizes (14" & 15") are so odd here in the U.S., I wanted to make sure a couple options existed. I don't need 50 tire options, but it sure helps to have a couple affordable choices.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Great response! My question though is could the dealership techs be onto something? I wrap my head around the correlation between slightly wider tires and cvt failure? The rationale so to speak.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Great response! My question though is could the dealership techs be onto something? I wrap my head around the correlation between slightly wider tires and cvt failure? The rationale so to speak.
    No, it’s complete nonsense from the dealer. The CVT7 is designed for up to 150 hp. They put it in the Nissan Juke. There is no way putting wider tires will cause any more stress than a engine with double the horsepower.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-31-2019),poorman1 (11-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The bigger question to me - Are transmissions (CVT in particular) built to last the life of the vehicle?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Good question. And I like to think I picked at least, the most likely of vehicle to achieve good results with the CVT7.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Interesting. I lean that way as well I suppose. Your ride is dope to btw.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good question. And I like to think I picked at least, the most likely of vehicle to achieve good results with the CVT7.
    If the same transmission is going in vehicles with twice horsepower, the odds are in your favor. Likewise, tires shouldn't matter all that much. If I owned a newer vehicle under warranty, I would hang on to my factory tires regardless of what I use. If the cars goes in for warranty work, you slap on the factory tires. Then again, you may have to explain why your car with 40,000 miles on it has tires that look almost brand new!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    If I being honest here. If I can hit 150k miles (I only average 7k miles a year) with the CVT7 Ill consider that a reasonable victory. Its cool you drive a manual yet are knowledgeable about the CVT7.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I being honest here. If I can hit 150k miles (I only average 7k miles a year) with the CVT7 Ill consider that a reasonable victory. Its cool you drive a manual yet are knowledgeable about the CVT7.
    I think there are others who know way more about the CVT7 than me.

The Mirage is a nice car for the money. My hope is that many of us are still speaking highly of our cars 10+ years from now!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey has your 175s caused you any transmission problems? I read on here that might be a thing?
    We all realize that GT CVTs come with 175 55 15s right? So any argument about 175s is complete BS.

(blank signature)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-12-2019)