Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tire Size Questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    We all realize that GT CVTs come with 175 55 15s right? So any argument about 175s is complete BS.
    That is true! Actually, two trim levels (LE & GT) come standard with 175/55-15 tires (22.6" OTD) in 2019.

Thus, someone would have to argue 175/65-14 tires (23" OTD) are trashing your transmission. A higher profile tire probably has slightly more weight, but it can't be that much? It comes down to more rim less tire vs. less rim more tire. I think the argument would be total BS, too.

Steve has 240,000+ miles on his Mirage, & he uses 175/65-14 tires. Then again, he drives a manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ....and either way, this exact CVT is in many larger, more powerful vehicles, so any tire argument would be invalid.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    ....and either way, this exact CVT is in many larger, more powerful vehicles, so any tire argument would be invalid.
    As a fellow Mirage owner, I agree with this statement.

From the position of a service department trying to get out of a warranty service claim, it might not hold.

All that to say it depends on who is doing the service. Are bigger tires really worth the hassle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The price range of the 175/65/R14, bigger selection, and more safety of the tire is what makes it tempting. Its replacing tires more frequently vs the possibility of damaing the CVT, which will contribute more costs over a certain time period? The auto gods will decide I suppose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The price range of the 175/65/R14, bigger selection, and more safety of the tire is what makes it tempting. Its replacing tires more frequently vs the possibility of damaing the CVT, which will contribute more costs over a certain time period? The auto gods will decide I suppose.
    A lot of tire shops won't install anything other than the OE size for these kinds of liability reasons. You may go in to buy 175s and be told no.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can always just take the rims in and leave the car at home. If the tire shop asks what those 175s are going on, tell 'em it's your dune buggy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-01-2019),Eggman (04-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The bigger question to me - Are transmissions (CVT in particular) built to last the life of the vehicle?
    What is the lifetime of a Mirage? Cheap plastic car is approaching 300,000 miles driven in a mild climate. Fummins has a car or two with close to or over 300,000 kms and driven in harsh salty conditions. My second Mirage is 239,000 kms in harsh salty conditions. At this point nobody knows the life of a Mirage, but it's a good bet they will be around for a long, long time if maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    No, it’s complete nonsense from the dealer. The CVT7 is designed for up to 150 hp. They put it in the Nissan Juke. There is no way putting wider tires will cause any more stress than a engine with double the horsepower.
    My engineering knowledge is fading but.... you'd need to put tires of 3x or more the current weight and they would need to be 36" wide before there are any issues of inertia loads great enough to overwhelm the CVT. The failing CVTS are dying purely due to maintenance issues. It appears if they are looked after there is a tiny percentage of failing. Drive your car normally, don't attempt to run mudder tires and the CVT will probably last the life of the car. It appears clutches might also last the life of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Good question. And I like to think I picked at least, the most likely of vehicle to achieve good results with the CVT7.
    I wouldn't lose a minute's worth of sleep if my car had a CVT. In some ways I wish my 2014 was a CVT. I would have the best of both worlds. A Mirage 5mt fun and sporty to shift and an auto to drive to Toronto during the worst stop and go traffic.

If I opt for a 3rd Mirage it will be a CVT regardless of mileage.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)