Thread: Rear axle flex on Mirage without a sway bar

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Rear axle flex on Mirage without a sway bar

As you can see in this video, I can flex the axle easily with my bare hands and it has a lot of play/movement and thats why a sway bar is highly recommended to increase the stability and safety at high speed of this car.
    https://youtu.be/Pob2bvrPHXI

I recently bought a sway bar from daox to minimize the axle flex or improve the stability of my mirage.
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-rear-sway-bar

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alemon For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-13-2018),Top_Fuel (06-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting that video. I didn't know the axle flex was that bad! I've got my Doax bar already but haven't installed it yet. It's on the "to-do" list this weekend.

I'm wondering if you have had your alignment checked after your suspension modifications? Very curious what your rear toe numbers look like.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.4 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a "twist beam axle", it's designed to twist. They do, indeed, twist a lot!

Think of it as a pseudo-independent rear suspension.

And adding the rear swaybar (which is really a "twist beam reinforcement") is great... but, the downside of that is that it reduces the independence of the rear suspension. Instead of twisting when one wheel hits a bump, it transmits more of that movement to the other side and you feel it more.

But, in a turn, the bigger swaybar takes weight that's being lifted off of the inside rear tire and applies it to the opposite corner (and to a lesser degree to the other two tires, including the inside front) and reduces the tendency of a FWD car to understeer or spin the inside front tire coming out of a turn.

Everything in suspension design is a compromise. Ride quality vs. handling. Packaging vs. weight. Cost vs. complexity. And on and on.

I wouldn't give up my rear swaybar. (but, curiously, I *did* give up my front swaybar)

Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Alemon (06-14-2018),Daox (06-13-2018),Marklovski (06-14-2018)