Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Member From Ohio,USA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

tires

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinTime14 View Post
    Thank you guys so much! Taking space wolf's advice I should increase my tire pressure? I've had a few problems with hydroplaning so far, the snow has been fine with the stock steelies. Im going to keep my stock set for the winter as suggested, And the wider tires will be my clean looking summer set, with some added preformance was my goal. I thought that a wider tire would make the looks a bit more formidable, along with some nice rims. And what would you guys suggest as optimal tire pressure? And if the tire size I chose is too big, what would still get a similar look?
    If you live in area that receives snow, I think your plan is perfect! Once your factory Dunlop tires wear down, you may even consider replacing them with 165/65r14 snow tires. Thankfully, a few good snow tire options exist in that size. I don't feel the Dunlop tires are horrible in snow, but there are better options for the future. For now, you can focus on your new wheels! Way more fun than buying snow tires.

If I lived in the south & seldom dealt with snow, I would be more inclined to toss/sell the steel wheels. Since you mentioned snow, I would definitely keep the steel wheels. Steel wheels aren't that expensive new, & you wouldn't get much for them anyways.

As far as tire pressure goes, the sticker inside the driver's door indicates 35 psi for the factory tires (165/65r14). Personally, I don't like tires that look somewhat under inflated. Thus, I check the maximum pressure on the tire. Dunlop Evasave tires have a maximum pressure of 44 psi. It's always best to check your air pressure in the morning (when your tires are cool). I like keeping my Dunlop tires @ 40-42 psi. A higher tire pressure will help your mpg, because the car just rolls better. Since the Mirage is known for its soft suspension, I feel the higher psi is fine. Others may suggest something else. I am just sharing my opinion on this and nothing more.

If you go with new wheels that are a different size, they will have their maximum psi listed on the sidewall of the tire, too. I would never go over the maximum pressure, & you may need to experiment some.

I am not the person to say much about different tire options. Other forum members are way more qualified than me. I will add one more thing, however. I like my Mirage as is, & I wasn't planning to do any modifications except for adding snow tires in the winter. As I got to know my new Mirage better, I felt one concern came up. When driving at high speeds during a strong crosswind, I felt the Mirage could really use some help. Thus, I added a rear sway bar. The rear sway bar really makes my Mirage feel more planted on the road. I was skeptical, but now I am amazed at how something so simple can improve the entire feel of the car. I am not a sway bar salesman, but it may be something to explore on this forum. My 2017 Mirage has a rear sway bar, & I would never leave home without it!!!!

Good luck with your future new wheels! I hope you share them with all of us. It's fun to see what others do with their Mirages.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, another Ohio peep!

Mentor Mitsubishi has been great to me too and my two Mirages.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great to hear it! The more in Ohio the merrier, maybe one day we can get us all together lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd like to see that happen. There is enough of us.

You're literally 10 minutes from where I work. lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow! I'll definitely keep a look out for you then, if you see a blue mirage with a yellow sticker on the back window that'll be me lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinTime14 View Post
    Great to hear it! The more in Ohio the merrier, maybe one day we can get us all together lol
    Hey AssassinTime14 any updates on your WeeShiftWee (Little Tsunami)? And how about a meet up? Rally says you've been in touch. Are you still autocrossing your Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)