Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirage 74hp vs Attrage 80hp engine (Mirage sedan engine more powerful?)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Is it impossible that the compression difference comes from different octane? It's a lot difference between 82 and 95

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Yes - the higher 95 octane is what permits them to increase the compression ratio (without encountering detonation).

Generally you get better efficiency (both power & fuel economy) from higher compression in an engine, but you need good quality, high octane fuel to burn in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    To use lower octane gas in US and Canada (American consumers hate expensive gasoline), manufacturers decrease compression ratio to use 87 octane AKI (RON 92 in Europe).

Here's a Malaysian review of the Attrage that repeats the 80hp figure for the sedan:

Underneath the Attrage's shell, the Mirage base car's powertrain has been carried over, meaning you will find the same Mitsubishi brand's 1.2-litre three-cylinder MIVEC petrol engine, reworked slightly with a raised output of 80hp and 106Nm of maximum torque.
    Source: http://www.thesundaily.my/news/958886

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Must only be for the lucky people in Malaysia. The thai spec Attrage has 100 Nm and 57 KW (=77.5HP).

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    You guys are lucky, we might not even be getting this wonderfully beautiful car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    its just the ECU tweak.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Yeap, so basically you CAN use powertuning to raise the HP of the Mirages. So it DOES work? We had a conversation about this in other thread, chip tuning thread. Which basically comes to it's impossible to do on a NON-turbo cars. But on this car the power output is downgraded for the Mirage?

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Yeap, so basically you CAN use powertuning to raise the HP of the Mirages. So it DOES work? We had a conversation about this in other thread, chip tuning thread. Which basically comes to it's impossible to do on a NON-turbo cars. But on this car the power output is downgraded for the Mirage?
    spoke with the sales rep. he said, yes can be tweak, seeks for pro advise, does it work if i can find someone to tweak ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Any car can be "tuned" for more power. Hell, even motorcycles get tunes too.

However, tuning companies dont usually "tune" cars like the mirage.

I suggest that if you're looking to get a tune
    1. get supporting mods first: air intake, header, and full exhaust. There is practically no other "bolt-on" supporting mods for our cars except for those.
    2. find the most "badass" tuner around town WITH a dyno. Although street testing could also be an option. The point is: don't get those generic "plug in" tunes because those tunes don't take your location (air quality, altitude, etc. etc.) into consideration.

Here's where it gets ugly: the tuners will probably use some sort of standalone ECU to run your engine which would require them to rewire all the stock ecu. Since our cars are not EVOs or Skylines, there are no harnesses (yet) for our cars, meaning work for them that will probably never be done again (at least in their shop) thats why they will probably charge you more.

Hell, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd write a fat check to the best local tuner in town (and here at Houston, we have one of the best in the industry) and tell him to tune the mirage. Intake and exhaust on race fuel will probably gain 20hp, but nothing more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

m4v3r1ck (02-18-2014)