Thread: hubcap with broken 'tab' - came from dealer this way

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

hubcap with broken 'tab' - came from dealer this way

So far, the two hubcaps I've removed from the Mirage have been broken, the right rear cracked where the 'tab' or finger, whatever it's called, connects to the rest of the cap. Today, I noticed the left rear 'tab' was broken away completely and fell out when the hubcap was removed.
    Wondering if anyone has had this happen and will the hubcap stay on ok with one of these things missing? Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The hubcaps on these cars are garbage. I see lots of Mirages running around with one or more hubcaps missing. I break one of these tabs off every other time I remove a cap. Only a matter of time before the cap itself comes sailing off when I hit a bump somewhere.

My car came with alloys, but I grab used hubcaps whenever I find them because I use them on my snow wheels. Picked one up today at what for me is the very first 2014-2018 Mirage I have seen in a self-service, 'Pick-and-Pull' yard. These cars are normally too new to end up in yards like this. Cap cost me $3.89!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-19-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    None of mine have broken so far!
    The hub caps are especially flat to reduce wind resistance.
    I would not like to have to replace them without good reason.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-19-2018)

They break all the time. I wish I could say they all came from the dealer like that but they don't. They crack in the cold, from rough roads, hitting curbs, even just walking past them too fast or talking to loud will cause them to crack. They don't need ever single tab to hold on. I've got a bunch of cars with lots of the tabs broken. They fly off so often some of our cars just run without them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Noticed my front driver side cover had several broken tabs. It only got worse. Lost the cover over Thanksgiving in Colorado. Just bought 4 stainless steel full moon hubcaps on Ebay today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    Noticed my front driver side cover had several broken tabs. It only got worse. Lost the cover over Thanksgiving in Colorado. Just bought 4 stainless steel full moon hubcaps on Ebay today.
    That sounds real interesting. Any links or pictures? Are they full coverage wheel covers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That sounds real interesting. Any links or pictures? Are they full coverage wheel covers?
    Just ordered today. Of course, I'll have to remove to check air. I may buy valve extensions and drill holes through the cover for them. Not sure yet.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Set-of-4-Solid-Moon-Wheel-Covers-Snap-On-Hub-Caps-fit-R14-Tire-Steel-Rim/222848453516?epid=9015249766&hash=item33e2cd8b8c:g :HOEAAOSwCoBajFRn:rk:5f:0

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azdonw For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (12-02-2018),tomrad (12-01-2018)