Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: No Sound

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts

    No Sound

    Hello,

    I have a 2018 Mirage G4. Took out the factory head unit to see if my Pioneer 2440 NEX radio from my f150 would fit. It does but I had to ordered the Metra dash kit for it to mount correctly. Reinstalled the factory head unit back in and now no sound. Everything works but no sound. I unplug it again, tried disconnecting the battery, then reinstall again but still no sound. Anyone else run into this? Any ideas how to get sound again?



  2. #2
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    10,412
    Thanks
    4,121
    Thanked 2,875 Times in 2,170 Posts
    Your radio might be locked.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  3. #3
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    10,412
    Thanks
    4,121
    Thanked 2,875 Times in 2,170 Posts
    These threads might be helpful.

    1. "Hands free system is locked, please state passcode" (bluetooth)

    This one describes the radio & HFM diagnostic menu.
    2. Link System | Fuse | HFM (Hands Free Module) - Software Update

    I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Going by the dealership tomorrow to see what they say. Hope it’s a simple fix. Right now I have it still unplugged and the the battery disconnected. I will hook it back up and reconnect the battery in the morning. I’m hoping it gets back to normal but if not off to the dealership I go.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Well i swapped the factory speakers back in and everything is working fine now. I tried both the factory head unit and my Pioneer 2440 NEX and they both are working normally. Called Crutchfield to swap out these Rockford Fosgate R1525X2 speakers for some Infinity Reference REF-5032cfx speakers. Don't know exactly what happened to the Rockford Fosgate's. Somehow they are defective. Hopefully the new speakers coming won't give me any grief. At least i'm an expert now on taking off and putting on the door panels.

  6. #6
    I'm lost, did your speakers both crap out at the exact same time after switching head units or did you swap head units AND speakers at the same time? Or did you have the speakers working in the car prior to swapping head units? Junk speakers out of the box? Either way glad you figured it out.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm lost, did your speakers both crap out at the exact same time after switching head units or did you swap head units AND speakers at the same time? Or did you have the speakers working in the car prior to swapping head units? Junk speakers out of the box? Either way glad you figured it out.
    I bought new speakers and installed them one speaker at a time. After each speaker was installed i checked to see if the factory radio was working, no issues and checked to see if the speaker had sound and was working good. Factory head unit was working good after all 4 door speakers were installed. I didn't play the radio very long maybe a min or two.

    I then took the factory head unit out to see if my Pioneer radio would fit ok. It did but i didn't have the correct mounting pieces to install it correctly. I had to order the Metra face plate kit. I never hooked up the Pioneer. I then put the factory head unit back in until i got the Metra kit in. The factory radio lit up but no sound. It was getting late that night so i stopped.

    The next day i wired up the Pioneer to see if it would work. It worked for a couple of mins. then no sound. Everything else was working fine but no sound. I then pulled that out and tried the factory radio again. I did this multiple times. Sometimes both radio's would work for a few mins then no sound. Sometimes no sound at all but everything else worked correctly.

    I called Crutchfield and spoke to an engineer. He said something about it could be a bad speaker. I didn't think that was a possibility because they were brand new and Crutchfield gave me new speaker connectors which had the factory connector where it is just plug n play.

    I was getting pretty frustrated and was going to bring the car to the dealership. So this morning i switched the new speakers back to the factory ones. Installed the factory radio and reconnected the battery. Everything is working again as it should. I then hooked the Pioneer unit and it worked fine as well. So it definitely was something with all of the speakers or maybe one or more. I really don't know. I don't have an ohm meter to test them.

    Crutchfield is swapping the speakers for different ones. Hopefully the new speakers will work as intended. That is what i like about Crutchfield. If something doesn't work or you just don't like something you bought as long as it is in the condition you got it in they will take it back.
    Last edited by FloridaG4; 06-22-2018 at 05:07 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaG4 For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (06-22-2018)

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    I bought new speakers and installed them one speaker at a time. After each speaker was installed i checked to see if the factory radio was working, no issues and checked to see if the speaker had sound and was working good. Factory head unit was working good after all 4 door speakers were installed. I didn't play the radio very long maybe a min or two.

    I then took the factory head unit out to see if my Pioneer radio would fit ok. It did but i didn't have the correct mounting pieces to install it correctly. I had to order the Metra face plate kit. I never hooked up the Pioneer. I then put the factory head unit back in until i got the Metra kit in. The factory radio lit up but no sound. It was getting late that night so i stopped.

    The next day i wired up the Pioneer to see if it would work. It worked for a couple of mins. then no sound. Everything else was working fine but no sound. I then pulled that out and tried the factory radio again. I did this multiple times. Sometimes both radio's would work for a few mins then no sound. Sometimes no sound at all but everything else worked correctly.

    I called Crutchfield and spoke to an engineer. He said something about it could be a bad speaker. I didn't think that was a possibility because they were brand new and Crutchfield gave me new speaker connectors which had the factory connector where it is just plug n play.

    I was getting pretty frustrated and was going to bring the car to the dealership. So this morning i switched the new speakers back to the factory ones. Installed the factory radio and reconnected the battery. Everything is working again as it should. I then hooked the Pioneer unit and it worked fine as well. So it definitely was something with all of the speakers or maybe one or more. I really don't know. I don't have an ohm meter to test them.

    Crutchfield is swapping the speakers for different ones. Hopefully the new speakers will work as intended. That is what i like about Crutchfield. If something doesn't work or you just don't like something you bought as long as it is in the condition you got it in they will take it back.
    How'd all this work out? I just had a 2018 come into the shop with no sound coming from any speakers. I pulled out the yellow fuse holder and re-installed it, tried resetting the head unit and still nothing. Radio worked but just no sound.

    Then just for sharts I opened the glove box and heard music....closed it and it quit. There was a sweet spot where I could get it to cut in and out...
    I removed the glove box and looked up and the entire wiring harness is hanging out all over the place. Nothing is clipped where it should be. Wtf over...I found if I pushed on a certain bundle of wire it the speakers would work. It was super sensitive. I pulled out the head unit and it was barely held in place. It had 3 little trim screws and one proper screw that wasn't tight. I found a wire that turned being for a gps Antenna that wasn't plugged in. Other than it looking like a 5 year old was working under the dash I couldn't find anything unplugged or broken. I put a few of the clips where they go to stop some of the harness from flopping around and now I can't get the speaker to NOT work, so I kicked it out the door but will have to get it back in to pull the dash and re-route the entire wiring harness.
    Backstory to the car....It was just bought new a few months back from a private seller. The guy said he tried to hook up factory cruise control, he got as far as removing the block off plate and installing a switch in the wheel but that's it. I noticed a bunch of the trim around the floor wasn't seated properly when looking at the car initially, the seller mentioned the dealer had replaced the carpet because it had a water leak. He didn't sound impressed by his dealer experience....

    Anyways... after seeing how much bs is going on under the dash and no reason for it I decided to look up the service history for this car. This car has been to 1 or 2 different dealers for interior and hvac issues. I'm not saying a dealer did all this but it sure does seem that way.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How'd all this work out? I just had a 2018 come into the shop with no sound coming from any speakers. I pulled out the yellow fuse holder and re-installed it, tried resetting the head unit and still nothing. Radio worked but just no sound.

    Then just for sharts I opened the glove box and heard music....closed it and it quit. There was a sweet spot where I could get it to cut in and out...
    I removed the glove box and looked up and the entire wiring harness is hanging out all over the place. Nothing is clipped where it should be. Wtf over...I found if I pushed on a certain bundle of wire it the speakers would work. It was super sensitive. I pulled out the head unit and it was barely held in place. It had 3 little trim screws and one proper screw that wasn't tight. I found a wire that turned being for a gps Antenna that wasn't plugged in. Other than it looking like a 5 year old was working under the dash I couldn't find anything unplugged or broken. I put a few of the clips where they go to stop some of the harness from flopping around and now I can't get the speaker to NOT work, so I kicked it out the door but will have to get it back in to pull the dash and re-route the entire wiring harness.
    Backstory to the car....It was just bought new a few months back from a private seller. The guy said he tried to hook up factory cruise control, he got as far as removing the block off plate and installing a switch in the wheel but that's it. I noticed a bunch of the trim around the floor wasn't seated properly when looking at the car initially, the seller mentioned the dealer had replaced the carpet because it had a water leak. He didn't sound impressed by his dealer experience....

    Anyways... after seeing how much bs is going on under the dash and no reason for it I decided to look up the service history for this car. This car has been to 1 or 2 different dealers for interior and hvac issues. I'm not saying a dealer did all this but it sure does seem that way.
    Maybe this should be it's own thread, I'm not sure if I started one for this problem car or not but I made a short clip of this one a while back. https://youtube.com/shorts/uiBlt7-HQVM?feature=share
    This car came back again. The driver filled it up with fuel, went to drive away and the car had no/very little throttle response/wouldn't rev up. They limped it back to the shop, abs,trac control and engine lights were all lit. I hopped in and it wouldn't rev up like normal. Rpm went up slightly but barely enough to move the car. I figured now is a good time to fix all the previous hacky wiring harness routing. I'm convinced this was a factory untrained dealership hack job. This car was bought used by the original owner, he took it in multiple times for various hvac and carpet issues...I assume someone got tired of this guy and just slapped it back together just well enough to go away for a while. So right now the previous radio problem seemed to go away but I did a full scan and there are a bunch of weird codes stored in various modules that don't seem related.
    So now I've got the dash cover off started re-routing and clipping the harness back where it goes and I'm finding a lot of missing bolts. The two on the top corners of the dash near the windshield were mia, there are a couple that hold the brake pedal bracket and steering column braces to the steel crash bar mia, part of the wiring harness for the passenger air bag was getting caught in the fresh air/recirculation blend door. I tried to record some of the amazingness. It's insane how this crap goes on. I'm glad work bought it and not someone that's scrapping by check to check that'd be screwed over after taking it back to the dealer that ruined it in the first place and get fed a different story about how and why the car is hooped right meow.

    Anyways...where I'm at now is getting it almost ready to go back together. I had to pull the cover off a wrecked 17 so I could see exactly how it was routed in the first place cause it was such a gong show in there. And I needed some mia bolts and once bracket that is on someone's toolbox somewhere in the city. I'll replace the cvt fluid too cause the once scary code I found was a torque refusal code(c1396), not stored in the trans controller but in the abs one for some weird reason..


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •