Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension Sticky Index (look here for good info)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Added:

Mirage brake history (factory revisions/changes)

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are aftermarket wheels typically lighter than the stock black steel rims?

In particular, I'm looking at some aluminum 14" wheels from discount tire direct.

Check this thread for the steel wheel weight and U.S. alloy wheel weight:

Thread: Weight of stock Mirage wheel/tire combo? (Steel, alloy)

Then you can make your comparisons.

Welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Check this thread for the steel wheel weight and U.S. alloy wheel weight:

Thread: Weight of stock Mirage wheel/tire combo? (Steel, alloy)

Then you can make your comparisons.

Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks, I just purchased a 2015, and need to do an intro post.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlxturbo View Post
    Are aftermarket wheels typically lighter than the stock black steel rims?

In particular, I'm looking at some aluminum 14" wheels from discount tire direct.

I just want to point out that the stock size tires are only made by two companies and are hard to source. They are also expensive and offer poor performance. I wanted a larger contact area so I started looking at what tires would fit my car. I wanted a size that wouldn't rub and was easily obtainable. I never wanted to be stuck somewhere say on vacation and unable to find my tire size. I went with a wheel/rim size that would allow me several tires size and brand options to choose from. After that, then I started looking at actual wheels/rims. I found that most tires want a 6-7" width wheel (in a size that fits our cars) to fit properly. This is why I went with 15x6.5". I originally wanted basic steelies, but the alloys were easier to source and the same price if not cheaper as they came with mounting hardware. Basically I'm saying the after market wheels were just a means to fit the Tires I wanted

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I just want to point out that the stock size tires are only made by two companies and are hard to source. They are also expensive and offer poor performance. I wanted a larger contact area so I started looking at what tires would fit my car. I wanted a size that wouldn't rub and was easily obtainable. I never wanted to be stuck somewhere say on vacation and unable to find my tire size. I went with a wheel/rim size that would allow me several tires size and brand options to choose from. After that, then I started looking at actual wheels/rims. I found that most tires want a 6-7" width wheel (in a size that fits our cars) to fit properly. This is why I went with 15x6.5". I originally wanted basic steelies, but the alloys were easier to source and the same price if not cheaper as they came with mounting hardware. Basically I'm saying the after market wheels were just a means to fit the Tires I wanted
    How wide are the original 14" tires? And any chance you know the rated treadwear of the originals? I'm trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on a similar set of 15" wheels/tires in the size you mention.

I ask because I just bought my car in Missouri, where it is currently sitting at a family member's house. I'm in Texas right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are 14x4.5" wheels and 165/65 14 Tires. They feel like wet noodles with anything less than 42PSI in them. Very narrow and scary in the rain around corners. I didn't plan on upgrading them until after I spent two weeks driving it stock lol.

Old Pic
    Name:  2710.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  36.9 KB

Here I forgot I have them in the house lol...
    Name:  IMAG0072.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  88.9 KB
    Name:  IMAG0073.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  85.2 KB

I believe these are the stockers that are on your car and were on mine...
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...m=665SR4ES01AS

Mirage Stock Wheel/Tire Information
    http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mitsubishi/mirage/2015/
    Last edited by HitShane; 05-26-2016 at 10:10 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

jlxturbo (05-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    They are 14x4.5" wheels and 165/65 14 Tires. They feel like wet noodles with anything less that 42PSI in them. Very narrow and scary in the rain around corners. I didn't plan on upgrading them until after I spent two weeks driving it stock lol.
    Thanks for the info. Mine is blue as well!

Did you go with black 15" wheels? Any chance you have photos of your new wheels on the car?

Also, how difficult is it to change all 4 wheels using the stock jack?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlxturbo View Post
    Thanks for the info. Mine is blue as well!

Did you go with black 15" wheels? Any chance you have photos of your new wheels on the car?

Also, how difficult is it to change all 4 wheels using the stock jack?
    I went with black to cover up brake dust I use mine as a work vehicle and it gets a lot of miles.

I bought a hydraulic floor jack as soon as I got the car to keep in the back lol. I paid a shop to mount the wheels and tires because the TPMS sensors need to be moved over to the new wheels. You will also need hub centric rings to center the wheels on the hubs. I also bought black lugs to match. You can click my profile pic and then look at my Garage for pics of my car...

Last edited by HitShane; 05-26-2016 at 10:20 PM.