Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NST lightweight/underdrive pulleys.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Any updates from NST?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They put hands on the pulleys on July 13th, per correspondence. Said they would be in touch. Generally, NST custom sets take from 30-60 days to complete fabrication. Being a full set and on an unexplored platform, I would guess early September some time.

Just sent them an email for an update. Ill post later with their response.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (07-19-2018),Fit (07-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    NST response:
    "We have several projects going on this week and weekend, please allow till mid next week and we'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks".

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Qrush For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (07-21-2018),Daox (07-19-2018),Fit (07-19-2018),Gnarles2 (07-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would be interested as well, OE diameter. I have a lightweight battery on order, and lightweight pulleys would be a good next step.

I think I wlould leave the crankshaft pulley alone though, in case it is part of the engine balance system.

But shaving pounds off the front of the car can only be a good thing imo!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallawallaman View Post
    I think I wlould leave the crankshaft pulley alone though, in case it is part of the engine balance system.
    Heres the earlier response from NST, to such a question:
    "With regards to balance, harmonics, vibrations, etc. we highly recommend reading through our FAQ page. We've designed and developed hundreds of pulleys since we started in 2005 and we've spent a great deal of time to put a good amount of information regarding these topics into our FAQ..."

https://nonstoptuningusa.com/faq/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    At first, I thought that a underdrive crankshaft pulley would be a waste of money on the Mirage.
    It would be a waste of time. I have 208k miles on my original pulleys thank you very much. Shoot, I even put close to 200k miles on the original serpentine belt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    NST rep response regarding underdrive:
    "We would recommend starting off with a set of OEM size lightweight pulleys, such a set would be approx 75% lighter than OEM and would likely provide you with all the benefits you're seeking... improved throttle response, better HP & TQ delivery, better MPG, and better aesthetics".
    Myself, I could do without the underdrive. Also, no one has personally requested it either. The few of us seeking to do this mod, we are looking for exactly what was just mentioned above - weight reduction and the benefits that come with it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    Myself, I could do without the underdrive. Also, no one has personally requested it either. The few of us seeking to do this mod, we are looking for exactly what was just mentioned above - weight reduction and the benefits that come with it.
    I've never understood the whole weight reduction crowd. If you want to reduce 30 pounds of weight, go on a diet.

These cars were designed by computers to run pretty dang efficient. I can't imagine a kitchen table engineer being able to beat the existing design without compromising something else in the system.

I for one, do not want my AC compressor spinning slower to save .0000001 mpg.

In the Delorean community I've seen all sort of gimmicks, even from our vendors. Back in the early 2000s, a certain Delorean vendor in Houston wash pushing a set of fancy smancy spark plug wires from a company called Nology. Someone finally put a car on a dyno with regular spark plug wires and then the Nology wires. Turns out, the car actually lost 3 hp with the fancy smancy Nology wires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The benefits of lowering "rotational" mass have been discussed here on this very thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Every ounce of rotating mass on the engine or anywhere in the drivetrain is mass that must be accelerated. It takes energy to accelerate it. So, removing ounces... and ultimately pounds... pays direct dividends in performance and fuel economy.

Replace that chunk of cast iron crankshaft pulley with an aluminum part that weighs 2 pounds less, it's going to make a difference. Is it enough to feel? By itself, probably not. But, as a part of a lightening program that includes a lightweight flywheel, light wheels, etc, etc... it's all going to add up. Worth doing on a Mirage? Oh, now there's the question!

I'm betting these are already pretty darned light. But, if they could be made lighter, there is ZERO downside to making the accessory pulleys lighter. Besides expense, of course.
    With all due respect, this is no new discovery and is a natural fact that lowering rotational mass on pulleys/flywheels/brake rotors/wheels and tires will increase throttle response and MPG's on ANY platform.
    Last edited by Qrush; 07-25-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’d like a set too, lemme know when u hear back from them