Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NST lightweight/underdrive pulleys.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benaragon2012 View Post
    I’d like a set too, lemme know when u hear back from them
    We are nearing a number of members interested, that perhaps a "group rate" discount can be proposed. I will be sure to ask, when next I exchange with NST.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    The benefits of lowering "rotational" mass have been discussed here on this very thread:

With all due respect, this is no new discovery and is a natural fact that lowering rotational mass on pulleys/flywheels/brake rotors/wheels and tires will increase throttle response and MPG's on ANY platform.
    But are the returns worth the cost? And cost goes beyond purchase price. Be sure to include installation time and any problems this change may cause. Will the factory serpentine accessory belt work, or will it need to be replaced? Will the softer aluminum hold up to the stresses, or will it develop fatigue cracks?

I'm with stevedmc. In the end, this is a cheap, basic, economy car.

Also, the original pulleys are considered cast iron here. With the exception of the harmonic balancer, which serves multiple purposes, I though the rest were stamped steel. Are any other pulleys cast iron?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm with stevedmc. In the end, this is a cheap, basic, economy car.
    I think in the end, these aftermarket pulleys would only be useful if we found ourselves in a position where we couldn't get aftermarket pulleys.

Here is an example. In the Delorean community, crankshaft pulleys are no longer available. If you can get your hands on a used one, most people want over $300 for it.

I found this out, because I broke my crankshaft pulley when I had to pry it off to remove a timing chain cover. I wasn't happy when I found out it was going to cost me over $300 to get a used pulley. Fortunately, common sense kicked in and I remembered that I had a spare engine laying around. I transferred the pulley from my spare engine to the one I was using, and I was a happy camper.

I'm not excited about lightweight pulleys, but it is nice to know there is a company such as NST that will build a new pulley should I send them one. There isn't a huge demand for Delorean crankshaft pulleys but it certainly would be nice to have a way to get one for less than $300.

I will keep this thread and company in mind should any of my friends ever need a Delorean crankshaft pulley.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the end, this is a cheap, basic, economy car.
    In the world of people who like to modify cars (whether for performance, fuel economy, style, or even comfort)... in the end, a cheap car is a BLANK SLATE.

Initial investment was low. Residual value is low no matter what. Some of us are inclined to spend whatever money and time we want to on the car to make it what we want it to be. It doesn't have to make economic sense to you. It's a hobby.

I roll my eyes at things like side skirts and carbon-fiber wrapped hoods. (You're adding weight to the car! It looks stupid!) But, I don't go into those threads and complain that I don't see the value in those things because it's just a cheap, basic, economy car.

I roll my eyes at people going nuts with aero mods that might not be the most attractive or well-built. (even though I respect the engineering and appreciate the game they are playing) But, I don't go into those threads and tell them that they're wasting their time because it's just a cheap, basic, economy car and they're not going to make enough difference to cover the cost and effort of what they're doing.

And you're welcome to roll your eyes at the notion of lightweight pulleys. You're even welcome to briefly state your opinion on the matter. But... then you should let it go and walk away. This thread is obviously not FOR you. Just scroll past it.

A friend of mine recently reminded me of a bumper sticker that I saw a couple years ago that sort of changed my perspective. It was on a 90's era Honda Civic. It was fairly non-descript aside from being ridiculously "stanced". We're talking loooooow with "poke" and "stretch" and with literally about 15-20 degrees of camber. As I rolled up behind him and was mentally hating on his life choices thinking he was a dork, I saw it. The bumper sticker simply said "Negative Camber, Positive Attitude". I instantly changed my mind about the kid. Yeah, his mods are stupid to me, but he's doing his own thing, and he's not hurting anybody. He's still a car guy, and he's cool in my book. Who am I to judge?
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Qrush (07-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    In the world of people who like to modify cars (whether for performance, fuel economy, style, or even comfort)... in the end, a cheap car is a BLANK SLATE.

Initial investment was low. Residual value is low no matter what. Some of us are inclined to spend whatever money and time we want to on the car to make it what we want it to be. It doesn't have to make economic sense to you. It's a hobby.

And you're welcome to roll your eyes at the notion of lightweight pulleys. You're even welcome to briefly state your opinion on the matter. But... then you should let it go and walk away. This thread is obviously not FOR you. Just scroll past it.
    Thank Loren for this post. I was trying to think of a non-combative way to respond to those who seem to see modifications only from a cost/benefit perspective. Well played and well said.

Again, i am a novice "modder". This is my 1st car I have modded and I am learning and having a great time enjoying the fruits of my labor. Yes, there is a cost. But for those of us wanting more than what OEM offers, and have the cash we saved from the purchase price, this is FUN! If I can make a path for others to do the same, I am happy to do so.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can provide a little insight here. I have 2 Fiat 1.4 turbos, one in the light 2 door 500 and one in a heavier 4 door 500X. A forum member lost his 500X due to a hailstorm and offered to sell me his lightweight crankshaft pulley from a reputable Fiat vendor (they happen to do Mitsubishi as well, RRM). Anyway, I was skeptical it would help but he said it was a noticeable improvement and since it was a good discount from buying new with only a few K miles on it, I bought it. I decided to put it on my 2 door Fiat since at the time I was considering trading my 4 door and my 2 door has a lot more mods. Even though the 2 door has an intake that's already improved engine response, I immediately noticed that the engine gained revs quicker, thus improving throttle response and making it feel a little quicker off the line as well as when accelerating from low speeds in a higher gear. I was so impressed by the improvement that I ordered a new one for my 500X as it's in dire need of better throttle response since it's heavier. It too felt a little lighter on its feet because of the improved throttle response. Since it gains revs quicker, the turbo spools up quicker, getting rid of the bogged feeling at lower revs. It brought a more capable peppy feel around town, particularly with the AC on. It's not a night and day difference but it is noticeable and for my specific car, I think it's a worthwhile upgrade. Dont expect much gains in gas mileage as I saw perhaps a 0.2-0.4 mpg improvement but that could have been caused by anything. That being said, both cars do seem to average a higher and more consistent mpg on the highway.

As for negatives, the pulley is noisier then stock. It makes a sort of light jingling noise whereas stock was quiet. However, the noise can only be heard from outside and isn't annoying. It just sounds sort of "mechanical". I've had the pulley on for over 30k on the X and no issues whatsoever. No extra vibration or AC/alternator issues but this was NOT underdrive, just lightweight. Claimed weight reduction was around 2 pounds. A friend that has a different brand pulley did report he suspects it shredded his accessory belt but its possible it was just a bad belt. But because of that, you might want to check the smoothness of the pulley and check the belt's condition more often.

In short, on a small low torque motor like the Mirage, I think a lightweight crankshaft pulley could provide a spunkier feel around town but it won't provide much noticeable gain in gas mileage.
    Last edited by Carfreak09; 07-26-2018 at 05:42 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carfreak09 For This Useful Post:

Loren (07-26-2018),Qrush (07-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After some back and forth, NST has made "group-buy" offer of $248 per kit, with 10+ member purchase. Details in the "buy-in" thread.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...4091#post74091
    Last edited by Qrush; 07-27-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    Thank Loren for this post. I was trying to think of a non-combative way to respond to those who seem to see modifications only from a cost/benefit perspective. Well played and well said.
    Then please accept my apology for being offensive.

I understand the desire to modify a car. Like so many others I too am interested in racing but have decided it is an expensive pastime that on many levels and for many reasons I cannot justify.

I have put a lot into my CJ-7 which I'm sure you would hold similar judgements against. Money I don't spend on my Mirage has allowed me to pursue something I hold dear.

So I get it. Sorry for being offensive. Good luck and best wishes with your endeavors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Loren (07-27-2018),Qrush (07-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand the desire to modify a car. Like so many others I too am interested in racing but have decided it is an expensive pastime that on many levels and for many reasons I cannot justify.
    Your good, Egg. I take no offense. Also, I can appreciate being mindful, efficient, and even frugal - should the opportunity arise. We all have valid points here. But on this girl here...myself, I am gonna let loose a bit and have some fun for a change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd suggest two things before getting too far here.

First, see if you can get a price on just the crankshaft pulley. That should be a lot closer to $150. Perhaps an easier price point for some people. But, also some people might not really want the other pulleys. Personally, I'm a fan of not disturbing things on the car that I don't need to. I'll take the big benefit of the crank pulley and leave the rest if I can.

Second, once you've got all that figured out. Start an actual "group buy" thread. This is a "discussion" thread, and group buy info will easily get lost in it.

Simplify and add lightness.