Thread: 18 G4 CVT Test Drive

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

18 G4 CVT Test Drive

G4 ES CVT added options: 15” alloy wheels, Apple and Android Car play, Arm Rest, and Floor Mats. We are comparing the test with our '17 ES Hatch CVT.

Test drive consisted of suburban stop and go 40-45 mph with moderate traffic and interstate driving 65 mph.
    Differences all 2018 models come with flat screen radios (with standard back-up camera) including steering wheel buttons and the front fascia is designed differently on the G4, the USB has been relocated from the glove box to sunglass holder area in front of the two driver cupholders. The radio also includes HD and has a clock on the screen I’m sure you can change options, but we didn’t get into making changes.

G4 models in ‘18 now come with pass through from trunk to rear seat ideally the pass through could be used for small or longer items. We were surprised with passenger space in the back seat and the trunk is decently sized and should exceed the needs of someone interested in this size vehicle. During the test drive I spent 50% of the time in the back seat to really feel the difference it should be comfortable for most people of all ages and sizes.

During the suburban drive the G4 was more planted to the road we did notice the G4’s engine working harder from start points but the engine was smooth and CVT felt exactly like the 17. On a road that was rough I was surprised with the amount of road noise I say this because we have driven the 17 on the same road and didn’t seem as loud. Once the G4 was on better paved roads the noise was equal or slightly quieter than our hatch. Corners and ramps were better due to the 15 in. tires and weight.

It was hot the car new car smell was strong so we had the A/C on full upon entering the interstate on ramp we used you really need to be up to speed to merge safely basically you are going from zero to 65 this is where the you could tell the G4 was slower then the Hatch I’m guessing two to three seconds slower once up to speed the cars felt very similar when it came to the engine and transmission. Again, the ride was more planted.

Overall our take was positive, I estimate our test drive was about 11 miles and we averaged 50.1 mph (Resetting A at the beginning of test).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DottandDolores For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-26-2018),inuvik (06-26-2018)