Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: another one bites the dust

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks for the update. I would be on the phone to complain to corporate Mitsubishi about this.

I wonder if your car has another issue that they don't want to mess with? It's hard to imagine an axle being that far out of spec...unless the mounting points on the car are the issue. If that's the case, that may not be repairable and they know it.

You aren't the first one to be in that situation where a replacement axle didn't fix the problem. But you are the first one who ever followed up to say that Mitsubishi will throw you under the bus if the first replacement axle doesn't work.

If that's going to be Mitsubishi's policy, then I would never buy a new Mirage without a pre-purchase alignment check.
    With the aggravation and run around I got with this car and it’s still not right this will be my last Mirage I ever buy. Too bad because I really like it but won’t take another chance on getting a bad rear axle again or have to have the car checked out first before buying.

I don’t like SUV/CUV’s and the Mirage is Mitsubishi’s only car they offer so unless they come out with another car this is my last Mitsubishi I’ll ever buy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaG4 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-30-2018)

That sucks.

Mitsu North America has a new PR rep that I haven't met (virtually) yet. The previous one was very good: was happy to answer many questions; arranged a Mirage press vehicle for Tim (Daox) to drive; and maybe most importantly, gave us the definitive and helpful corporate response about the rear axle issue.

I don't know if it'll help at all, but I'm going to introduce myself to the new rep next week and ask what's up if an owner gets TWO defective replacement axles. My bet is the official response will be: "we will replace it again."

I'm just worried if they get too many replacements, they're just going to change the official alignment tolerance to permit previously failed axles to pass. Like Honda did with the Fit (allegedly - I don't have first hand knowledge).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That sucks.

Mitsu North America has a new PR rep that I haven't met (virtually) yet. The previous one was very good: was happy to answer many questions; arranged a Mirage press vehicle for Tim (Daox) to drive; and maybe most importantly, gave us the definitive and helpful corporate response about the rear axle issue.

I don't know if it'll help at all, but I'm going to introduce myself to the new rep next week and ask what's up if an owner gets TWO defective replacement axles. My bet is the official response will be: "we will replace it again."

I'm just worried if they get too many replacements, they're just going to change the official alignment tolerance to permit previously failed axles to pass. Like Honda did with the Fit (allegedly - I don't have first hand knowledge).
    I've known Jeff Holland, Mitsubishi's new PR Director, since about 2009. I got to know him when he used to work for Suzuki as their PR contact. He's a good guy and has always been very receptive to questions. Just remember: Putting the PR guy on the spot regarding defective axles, however, is not likely to get you the response you'd want. Like any PR guy would, he'll likely tell you that you'll need to talk to the dealer or file a complaint with Mitsubishi. Just a guess since, well, I work PR in the automotive world, too. We can tell you who to talk to—and maybe that's all good.

Also remember, while the axle thing is a pain in the butt, there's likely nothing MMNA can do it. If we're having the axle issue in North America, they're having the axle issue all over the world, right? I'm not saying you don't bring it up, but I just wouldn't expect too much. Is the axle problem with the tooling in Thailand or just an axle supplier? What's root cause.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-30-2018)

Thanks!

Not planning to put anyone on the spot - we just want to know the company's position on the issue. We were given an unequivocal answer and path to a solution without hesitation by the previous PR manager. It was helpful to a few members who were getting the runaround from their dealers.

I bet the answer will be the same: If the warranty replacement part is defective, another replacement part is warranted.

It's sometimes useful to be able to point to an "official" statement, is all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (08-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Isn't that illegal?
    Yes it is in every US state except California. If I see a police car I just fall back in the queue ASAP. But i purchased a $400 Chinese 50cc scooter with only 1000 miles and Im having alot of fun on it for short city trips. The thing gets over 100 mpg with a top speed of 45 mph. Im only driving the Mirage 3 days per week. I already put 400 miles on the scooter in only 1 month. Its great for a quick trip to Walmart, CVS or the supermarket or to visit Mama everyday.

Im surprised few people ever mention 50cc scooters on this forum but it truly is an excellent investment. Especially if you live in the Large City with horrific traffic congestion. I made the rush hour trip in 15 minutes that takes cars 45 minutes to complete. I split the lanes and pass all of them getting near the front of the queue at red lights.

Yeah, its illegal but 95% of the cars dont care because they think the little scooters are cute. And no insurance required in Florida plus parking privileges that allow 50cc scooters to park anywhere bicycles can (even on the sidewalk) so no more circling around the lot looking for a space.

For me just the "no insurance" + parking privileges + ability to split lanes (yes its illegal) was enough to sell me, especially for under $500 bucks used. And over 100 mpg, the thing sips fuel thru a coffee straw; tremendous efficiency and alot of fun to ride.
    Last edited by fc321; 08-31-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It sold!

https://www.copart.com/lot/38582888

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)