Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: another one bites the dust

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Any time you can walk away it's a good thing.

If I remember correctly you have a 2017 with 40K+ miles, right? It's a safe bet it's totaled...

The steering wheel and knee air bags retail for $1800 combined.
    The 2 fenders and hood are almost $1000.
    Probably another $1000 wrapped up in the front bumper cover and various front trim/support pieces.
    A single HID headlamp assembly is almost $1000.
    If you damaged the AC condenser that's another $500.

So you're close to $5,000 in parts alone...and that assumes everything from the front doors and back hasn't been touched. Add in paint and labor and this may be a $7,000+ repair.
    Might be more, and labor here in SoCal is a lot. Last time when I ran over the wheel stop that fall off the truck off the fway was close to 5k and that was superficial.

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Thanks grandpa! Have you driven in SoCal, it will be a revelation! FYI, I driven on 3 continents more than 1.7 mil miles!
    Riiight. So, you're standing by the fact that you... a very worldly and experienced driver... DROVE INTO the car in front of you... and it was somehow somebody else's fault.

I'm still hoping that someone else can learn from this, even if you refuse to.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

daleWV (06-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Riiight. So, you're standing by the fact that you... a very worldly and experienced driver... DROVE INTO the car in front of you... and it was somehow somebody else's fault.

Geeez, man...stop adding insult to injury here. I am sure he feels bad enough without getting a finger-wagging from anyone on this board.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Alrighty everyone, I think we all can agree on a few basic facts:

Accidents aren’t fun.

Technically all automobile accidents are preventable. After all if you never drive or ride in a automobile or any other form of transport you’ll never be in a vehicle when a accident occurs.

Accidents are not willful destruction of a vehicle. If it was it wouldn’t be an “accident”.

Thankful no one was seriously injured.

Lament that there is one less of our inexpensive, reliable, kinda quirky little car on the road.

Sh*t happens, let’s all take a breath and be positive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-27-2018),MacClyver (06-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

Did I ever said it was someone else's fault? I just don't want a pedantic man standing from a righteous place after the fact gloating!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Oh no! Bummer about the car - and your arm.

Did I ever said it was someone else's fault?
    Nope, and good for you.

I really don't think he was gloating -- as a former driving instructor, I 100% get the desire to not waste a valuable learning experience, and to own it. The intention was honourable.

So what's your plan for a replacement vehicle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

daleWV (06-28-2018),Eggman (06-27-2018),Loren (06-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Did I ever said it was someone else's fault? I just don't want a pedantic man standing from a righteous place after the fact gloating!
    No, I suppose you didn't blame anyone else. You blamed "traffic", and you blamed the car. But, nowhere did you accept your role in it.

Traffic picked up fast, and then stopped faster. Did not have time to avoid it since the car in front of me had stronger brakes and ended up under it.
    I'm not gloating at all. I just feel that we have something to learn from every crash we get into. If we don't take the time to learn from our mistakes, we are doomed to repeat them.

Crashes suck. I don't want you or anyone else to have another one. That is all.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Oh no! Bummer about the car - and your arm.

Nope, and good for you.

I really don't think he was gloating -- as a former driving instructor, I 100% get the desire to not waste a valuable learning experience, and to own it. The intention was honourable.

So what's your plan for a replacement vehicle?
    I still have the lancer, not sure for the near future. Might look around in December, but I am really considering a iM manual!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Loren if he lives in Florida will see very, very bad driving everyday. We have some of the worst drivers in the entire country here in Florida.

I give more distance in the front than what is considered normal and the main reason why is because of my hypermiling and I want to avoid hitting the brakes as much as I can since losing momentum is such a waste of gasoline.

But yes this is a good reminder that we never know when a fool in front of us will slam on the brakes and i agree with the person that said the brakes on the Mirage are not that good. Just last week i almost rear ended some idiot that merged in front of me with no turn signal and no warning (as if he didnt even see me at all) and in that encounter I felt that the brakes did not respond as quickly as other cars I have driven in the past. Its one of the shortcoming of the Mirage, the brakes. I feel there is a good chance that remusrm if he was in a different car may have been able to brake in time.

But this is an important lesson for all of us to witness with our own eyes what can be the end result. I hope the insurance will cover you and that you are able to prove that the person in front of you slammed on the brakes abruptly. Because in most cases they rule against the driver that collided with the vehicle in front. They will try to paint you as a speeder or an aggressive driver that was riding the tail of the car in front of you. Its difficult to win such cases and is another reminder of the importance of buying a cheap dashcam (under 100 bucks) so that you can prove your innocence in cases such as these.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After reading this thread a couple of days ago I’ve been thinking about the brakes. Is there any aftermarket brake pads and shoes that are better than the stock that we can upgrade to?