Thread: Forum & server upgrade - keep an eye out for errors

Forum & server upgrade - keep an eye out for errors

We did a number of upgrades to the server hardware & software this morning that will speed up the site. We also switched over to https for better security.

Everything went relatively smoothly and all seems to be in order. But keep an eye out for errors anyway, and let us know here if you spot any.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-27-2018),Loren (06-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Thanks for the update MetroMPG. Response seems faster.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I agree - seems snappier.

The little browser tab "MF" icon is AWOL, but so far that's the only problem I've seen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The little browser tab "MF" icon is AWOL, but so far that's the only problem I've seen.
    The Favicon?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A favicon /ˈf?v.ɪˌkɒn/ (short for favorite icon), also known as a shortcut icon, website icon, tab icon, URL icon, or bookmark icon, is a file containing one or more small icons, associated with a particular website or web page. A web designer can create such an icon and upload it to a website (or web page) by several means, and graphical web browsers will then make use of it. Browsers that provide favicon support typically display a page's favicon in the browser's address bar (sometimes in the history as well) and next to the page's name in a list of bookmarks. Browsers that support a tabbed document interface typically show a page's favicon next to the page's title on the tab, and site-specific browsers use the favicon as a desktop icon.
    This might explain why it's not showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    History
    In March 1999, Microsoft released Internet Explorer 5, which supported favicons for the first time. Originally, the favicon was a file called favicon.ico placed in the root directory of a website.
    Maybe the new forum setup just needs the file in the right place?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yup, that's it.

It's in there now. The vBulletin one is still cached for me though. Browser restart time!

It might just be my computer but the plain ol search function on the top right corner doesn't turn up any results. It works fine when using the advanced search button thing though.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-29-2018)

Merci. Added to the list.

Will get that sorted out next week.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-29-2018)

Google forum search feature fixed. Formatting is a little wonky, but it works. Happy Canada Day!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So far so good. I especially appreciate the secure 'https' protocol. Less worries of a compromised password when logging in.

Not to jinx anything, but do you suppose this will help with the ad network redirect problem?

I don't think the ad network redirect issue is related to https. It was the ad network itself that was compromised. (Also, I removed the offending network after contacting them and not getting any reassurance they would address it. We haven't had any redirect reports from members since then.)

I do like the upgrade so far, though. It's noticeably faster too.