Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key blade removal

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Key blade removal

Hey Friends,

Anybody know how to remove the blade from this key?
    2019 Mirage

Thanks,
    Tom

Attached Images Attached Images  

I just tried with no luck. Stuck the key in a vice, put the case back together and tried wiggling it loose. Didn't work. It looks like it should just pull out once the screw is removed? The only way I could think of is to break the plastic off. Maybe I'll do that another day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm trying to save the remote, it's the wrong blade. I bought a new blank blade and it looks like it should slide out. I think it's glued. Also looks like the chip is directly behind the blade so that adds another layer of WTF.

I don't know about that. I thought the transponder(chip) was part of the circuit board itself.

I've swapped key blanks on Nissan keys, they have the same threaded hole in the blade along with 3 dimples on one side and bumps on the other to keep it tight in the case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You very well might be right, as I said I'm guessing. It looked like there might be a space for the chip behind the key but maybe it's just the way the plastic looks. How did you pull out the Nissan blade?
    Last edited by Georgethecat; 02-11-2022 at 06:29 PM.

Just removed the screw and pulled the key blank out. Doesn't seem to work on Mitsu keys. I tried swapping key fobs on a 2014-15 Mirage key with no luck either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh well, maybe someone out there knows. If you decide to destroy that case let me know if you discover anything. ... and thanks for trying.

Will do. Merry covids.

Hang on ....

Attachment 22891Attachment 22891Attachment 22892

I dunn it. Sorta. It's easier if you don't care. Stuck key blank in vise and twisted key fob half(like you'd twist the key in the ignition) with some channel locks. The key blank is kinda molded in place. When it pried loose a thin piece of the case pried up. It's hard to see in the pics. It was a bit of a pita to get the key blank put back into the key head(fob but it went and is still snug even without re-installing the little screw

Last edited by Fummins; 02-11-2022 at 07:10 PM.