Thread: Filter design

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts

Filter design

There has been quite some recurring discussion in this forum about filter quality, filter properties, differences in construction, and so on.

One of the largest filter manufactures is OEM for VW, Mercedes, Rolls-Royce, Volvo, and many others. They explain design, construction and subtle differences of common filters in their "Internet academy". Of course they put their own technologies in the foreground, but the realm of information is well worth looking at.
    The link below leads to that academy. You can even take a test and get a certificate.

http://academy.filtron.eu/homepage

Last edited by foama; 06-28-2018 at 06:25 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I saw this video of oil filter comparison. Found it interesting how filters that look the same can be very different inside. This may be evidence that you do get what you pay for. (ignore the brand content..)

https://youtu.be/OMrI791m-pU
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I saw this video of oil filter comparison. Found it interesting how filters that look the same can be very different inside. This may be evidence that you do get what you pay for. (ignore the brand content..)

https://youtu.be/OMrI791m-pU

Thats an interesting video!
    I wonder if the bulk of products presented there qualifies as fake or fraud?
    Its hard to believe such rubbish could be marketed here in Europe without the importer being taken to court for damages...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    In the video, Neil of Messick Farm Equipment makes some good points but I find some shortcomings with his presentation.

1. He notes the weight difference between the NAPA (made by Wix) filters and the Kubota filter, and goes on to suggest that an increased weight can withstand more pressure. I don't doubt this claim but how much pressure does a filter need to withstand? Have you ever actually witnessed a burst filter can? I have not.

2. Filter size
    Neil notes the difference in filter lengths. A larger (as in longer) filter may be able to trap a greater quantity of particulates but not necessarily smaller sizes. I understand this is referred to as a filter's efficiency. The Kubota filter's efficiency is never stated. Wix publishes their filter specifications, including efficiency.

I have seen filter disassembly demonstrations that stretch out the filter media and flatten it's pleats. Any of the Wix filters may be longer than the Kubota filter when stretched out, and that's what the pleats are all about - fitting more in the same space. Again, this is no indication of a filter's efficiency.

3. Neil mentions the gasket material and how the Kubota gasket seems more pliable to him. Does it or does it not seal? Maybe the firmer Wix filter gasket withstands higher temperatures - this is neither measured nor discussed. In my understanding, so long as the filter does not leak during operation, the gasket is sufficient. I know of no reports problems with Wix filter gaskets, so there's that.

4. Neil briefly discusses the anti-drainback valve in his demonstration. Without going into great detail, an anti-drainback valve has limited use on horizontally mounted filters, and it not needed on vertically mounted filters. I would be interested in discussing the usefulness of anti-drainback valves, and this appears to be the place for such a discussion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)