Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage gets 'Forward Collision Avoidance' technology in Asian market.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    At least in North America we can turn the traction control off in the Mirage (even while driving). European models do not have this option. I agree though that technology is great if it keeps you safer but if it makes you more complacent then the likelihood of needing these technological additions increase which kind of defeats the purpose.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As far as I don't like "new fangled doohickeys" I probably would not try to disable front impact avoidance because if I'm driving attentively and defensively I should never be in a situation where it comes on.
    Like airbags, it won't come into play unless I have a lapse in judgement. Then who knows? Maybe it saves my butt.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    The march of technology is not about to slow down, but speed up. More and more 'features' will be rolled out, especially if manufacturers can claim improved safety.

Look back to the automotive industry only a few decades ago to just before the time when airbags and anti-lock brakes were being introduced. Those cars were primitive by comparison. In the 1970s, electronic ignition replaced points; in the 1980s electronic fuel injection replaced carburetors - and they were big steps forward in reliability.

I can sympathize with every concern about all this technology as it seems to hollow out the connection between vehicle and driver. For example, my CJ-7 has none of this, and even less than so many cars that were ever produced (canvas doors, no top/roof.) There are so many reasons for the development of these technologies. In my estimation, it is driven by market forces - the company that can develop and produce (and patent) the technology has an advantage over it's competition.

I guess my point with all this is it's not gonna stop, and in the bigger picture the benefits outweigh the costs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For me, the big picture is that we (as drivers) need to know the technology that is out there and understand the ways that it can help AND hurt us on the road.

Relying too much on the technology that you have in YOUR car rather than on your own two eyes and good habits can get you killed.

Not recognizing that the car in front of you could have Brake Assist, and definitely has ABS, and could stop RIGHT NOW for no apparent reason (even if the driver didn't really intend to) should have every one of us following a lot less closely than we might have a few years ago. We need space to observe, space to react. And in today's "on-demand" society, people are often in a hurry, and/or have just developed "rushed" driving habits. They're going to drive as fast as they can... until they can't. That creates inevitable "stop and go and stop" situations in everyday traffic that we need to be constantly looking for.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You know, it really hurts when I bang my head against the keyboard like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had seen that youtube video. I think it's been available for a couple of years now in certain Asian markets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What bugs me with that ad (and there are plenty of similar ones in the US) is that they're almost ENCOURAGING people to not worry about focusing on their driving. Just rely on the technology, it will save you, it's all good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    What bugs me with that ad (and there are plenty of similar ones in the US) is that they're almost ENCOURAGING people to not worry about focusing on their driving. Just rely on the technology, it will save you, it's all good.
    Exactly

Technology is great but that commercial is retarded. I see enough stupid like that on the road already and now one more reason for dumb people to pay less attention to driving. I'm not saying I'd turn that feature off if I had it though. I am curious if it's smart enough to able to brake if a kid runs out in front of you but not bother if a rabbit does. I can see a problem with that doing 60mph in rush hour. I'd prefer making road pizza(with a rabbit not a kid) over getting rear ended anyday.

Last edited by Fummins; 07-10-2018 at 09:56 PM. Reason: must clarify not wanting to run over kids.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)