Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage gets 'Forward Collision Avoidance' technology in Asian market.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I am curious if it's smart enough to able to brake if a kid runs out in front of you but not bother if a rabbit does. I can see a problem with that doing 60mph in rush hour.
    I can point you to some fascinating discussions regarding Artificial Intelligence and morality, and the discussions follow this very line.

My point is, this ain't nothing. Just wait to see what lies ahead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I look forward to it, especially when I'm to old, blind and senile to drive anymore. It'd be great to hop in a car and just look out the window while it drives or flys itself.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can do that now, call an Uber.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-11-2018)

Good point.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Well it turns out the wife's new car has that collision avoidance crap. I found out when I took it to go grab some tools from work on the weekend. It went nuts on me one time as it didn't realise I was wanting to make a right turn before I got to the cars stopped at the red light in front of me. It was more distracting than anything, dash lit up red, alarms going off. I though it was out of oil or something.
    Mirage videos:

I've experienced unintended / unwanted automatic braking since this thread was started:

Driving a Chevy Bolt EV, waiting to do a lane change in moving traffic. There was a car passing me in the other lane, going considerably faster than I was, so I start to switch lanes relatively quickly immediately after its rear bumper passed my front bumper. The Bolt does not like this and hits the brakes! Temporarily, but unnecessarily. OK yes, the gap I was steering into was quite small, but it was opening up, not closing -- it was not a safety concern.

What if a tailgaiter behind me had bumped into the Bolt because of the unexpected braking?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-05-2019)

Yes, this makes me wonder now if some people aren't just driving like dicks by brake checking intentionally. In some cases it may just be the care going into jerk mode. I keep this in mind before flipping people off now.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    What a great idea. We can add this to driving around with high-beams on and horn blaring.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-05-2019 at 06:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I forgot about that. I'll make sure to do that on my way home '

I'm clearly not sensible enough to join the Mirage community lol.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Call me a neo-luddite or whatever but all this added tech cant replace being an attentive, thoughtful driver IMO. It'll drive the price of the Mirage up too.