Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mirage gets 'Forward Collision Avoidance' technology in Asian market.

I'm too lazy to google that fancy word.

Now with more people texting, doing makeup and eating with freakin chopstix while steering with their feet it's likely going to become mandatory for all this big brother crap be installed on all new junk if it isn't already. I'm also too lazy to look up is this is happening.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I've experienced unintended / unwanted automatic braking since this thread was started:

Driving a Chevy Bolt EV, waiting to do a lane change in moving traffic. There was a car passing me in the other lane, going considerably faster than I was, so I start to switch lanes relatively quickly immediately after its rear bumper passed my front bumper. The Bolt does not like this and hits the brakes! Temporarily, but unnecessarily. OK yes, the gap I was steering into was quite small, but it was opening up, not closing -- it was not a safety concern.

What if a tailgaiter behind me had bumped into the Bolt because of the unexpected braking?
    I think nothing of drafting within a foot of the car ahead while waiting for the car in the passing lane to go by. When it does I immediately pull out from behind the center lane right behind the fast lane car. Methinks this auto braking crap is not going to let me do that anymore.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I think nothing of drafting within a foot of the car ahead while waiting for the car in the passing lane to go by.
    A foot?? Are you kidding me?

Another technique to add to the kit: highbeams on, horn blaring, brake checking and now tailgating.

That is one of the most aggressive driving maneuvers out there. I don't appreciate anyone tailgating me, much less within a foot of my rear bumper, and I can't imagine any other driver who would either.

Sounds like a recipe for road rage. Pull that around these parts and see what happens.

You are kidding, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    A foot?? Are you kidding me?

Another technique to add to the kit: highbeams on, horn blaring, brake checking and now tailgating.

That is one of the most aggressive driving maneuvers out there. I don't appreciate anyone tailgating me, much less within a foot of my rear bumper, and I can't imagine any other driver who would either.

Sounds like a recipe for road rage. Pull that around these parts and see what happens.

You are kidding, right?
    I do that move only under perfect conditions. I roll up on the center lane car so quickly and move over so quickly they never even know I was there, in many cases. I wouldn't hang off someone's bumper for more than a half-second or so. It's all so fluid and smooth nobody's feathers have ever been ruffled, to the best of my knowledge.

Speaking of road rage, I've had many people fly up on my bumper while I'm doing 85km/h in the slow lane and they totally freak out, hammering their brakes and swerving, flashing lights, leaning on the horn, extreme dirty looks as they go past, and in the worst cases slamming on their brakes once they've pulled in front of me, forcing extreme emergency braking on my part.

So I ask? Which of my driving styles is more dangerous? One that has never come close to an accident at upper limit freeway speeds or nearly being rear-ended or forced to emergency brake driving under the limit?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I do that move only under perfect conditions. I roll up on the center lane car so quickly and move over so quickly they never even know I was there, in many cases. I wouldn't hang off someone's bumper for more than a half-second or so. It's all so fluid and smooth nobody's feathers have ever been ruffled, to the best of my knowledge.

Speaking of road rage, I've had many people fly up on my bumper while I'm doing 85km/h in the slow lane and they totally freak out, hammering their brakes and swerving, flashing lights, leaning on the horn, extreme dirty looks as they go past, and in the worst cases slamming on their brakes once they've pulled in front of me, forcing extreme emergency braking on my part.

So I ask? Which of my driving styles is more dangerous? One that has never come close to an accident at upper limit freeway speeds or nearly being rear-ended or forced to emergency brake driving under the limit?
    You are fooling yourself if you think following another car within a foot of its bumper is a safe maneuver under any circumstances. Either that, or it's false bravado.

That's your behavior. There's no accounting for the behavior of other drivers. Drive defensively and safe.

Speed kills - keep it to a race track.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-06-2019 at 02:04 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You are fooling yourself if you think following another car within a foot of its bumper is a safe maneuver under any circumstances. Either that, or it's false bravado.

That's your behavior. There's no accounting for the behavior of other drivers. Drive defensively and safe.

Speed kills - keep it to a race track.
    Fair enough, to each their own style. I've likely a million miles under my belt with 1 at fault accident as a young man.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-06-2019)

Road rage around here usually involves honking the horn, and sometimes high beams and flipping someone off. Then carry on. I don't usually get raged cause chances are that's my neighbor I'm honking at lol.
    I'm sure glad we don't have to worry about gun toting road rage retards shooting us cause someone accidently cut them off!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm too lazy to google that fancy word.

Now with more people texting, doing makeup and eating with freakin chopstix while steering with their feet it's likely going to become mandatory for all this big brother crap be installed on all new junk if it isn't already. I'm also too lazy to look up is this is happening.
    Luddite - people who rebel against technology

From the Luddite movement back in like 1790 England. Luddites were skilled tradespeople, who lost their jobs to new technology and machinery. (advent of the Industrial Revolution, and the big wave of irrevocable change that came with it)

Luddites were famous for b & e'ing into new factories, and smashing all the new machinery that took their jobs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Vietnam
    Thanks
    Anyone have more information for FCM LS ?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    they have a GT variant at thailand equipped with FCM and ASTC.. actually its just the same with the pajero sports GT and triton GT, we ddnt get that variant here we just got the abs and cruise control but ever since they localized the production of mirage here some features are gone, base model ddnt have abs anymore and aside from ugly radio its only equipped with 2 speakers they even remove the alarm 2017 is the most complete model.