Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEIN Basis Coilover review

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

TEIN Basis Coilover review

So here I am about 200~kms into my TEIN Basis coilovers and......they're alright...ish. For the average person, I think these would be great. They add their share of firmness to the ride and the for the toilet flush crowd, you can tuck in the rear, but the front will still have about a 5-10mm gap fully dropped. It will rub at full drop though unless you drive really slow.

They are compliant to the road when raised up to a decent height and they reduce body roll quite a bit (on top of what I noticed from the UR rear sway bar) and are comfortable enough for daily driving for sure. They also feel like they can handle a little bit of spirited driving, but with the lack of damping adjustment, I think they may not be the choice for track day enthusiasts.

I am going to take the car out for a hard run tonight and there is a track day on the 20th that I may further chime in on if my buddies and I go. But we'll see what happens there. I'm a track ***** so these definitely feel like they're letting me down so far, but if anything Hot Bits is literally a 10 minute drive from me so I may get them to rebuild the suspension into something better next year.

Installation and adjustment are simple and easy. Too late for a write-up, but you won't need one. It's that straight forward. They do use your stock top hats though so a spring compressor or new top hats are required for at least the front.

I'll try to get back to you guys later tonight after my run. Then later again after my first track meet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rival Autosport For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-07-2014),MetroMPG (04-07-2014)

Where do you do your track days?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

gls2001 (04-07-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mosport GP and DDT, Shanonville, that track inside of the Cayuga compound (CTMP?), and Calabogie if we feel like it. Most of the time with NextMod or KPlayground.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    By the way, the damping is way too damn soft. I corner hard and the suspension just compresses. I hate it. My ZIIs need stiffer suspension. ALOT stiffer suspension. Mind you I have a 15mm wheel gap up front and 10mm out back, but I haven't a lot of room left on the sleeve the go higher and I believe that if I go any higher, I'll be rolling harder. This is definitely only for daily driving or spirited driving where you run a tyre in the same class as S-Drives or something. Not a dedicated track car or a hardcore weekend warrior. I'm definitely getting Hot Bits to rebuild these into something better.....when I have more money.
    Last edited by Rival Autosport; 04-07-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Bad spelling, questionable grammar, and other such thiings that annoy me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much were they?

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalliArt_Mirage View Post
    By the way, the damping is way too damn soft. I corner hard and the suspension just compresses. I hate it. My ZIIs need stiffer suspension. ALOT stiffer suspension. Mind you I have a 15mm wheel gap up front and 10mm out back, but I haven't a lot of room left on the sleeve the go higher and I believe that if I go any higher, I'll be rolling harder. This is definitely only for daily driving or spirited driving where you run a tyre in the same class as S-Drives or something. Not a dedicated track car or a hardcore weekend warrior. I'm definitely getting Hot Bits to rebuild these into something better.....when I have more money.
    told you guys, rear absorber/damper need to change hehehe . spring rate , the best , i guess around 2.4~2.7kg , unless you are more on track...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CheezyWedges View Post
    told you guys, rear absorber/damper need to change hehehe . spring rate , the best , i guess around 2.4~2.7kg , unless you are more on track...
    The rear damper and spring are from TEIN.....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    How much were they?
    They were a waste of $1100.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    how many clicks?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    1100 ... damn ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)