Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu Wants Your Driving Data, is Willing to Throw in a Free Cup of Coffee

Mitsu Wants Your Driving Data, is Willing to Throw in a Free Cup of Coffee

According to the Wall Street Journal, Mitsubishi’s new smartphone app is the first of its kind. A driver can sign up and allow their driving habits to be tracked by their phone’s sensors, which monitor data points like acceleration, location, and rotation. Along the way, they’ll earn badges (reward points) based on good driving practices like staying under the speed limit. For now, the badges can be exchanged for discounted oil changes or car accessories, but the company plans to expand its incentives to other small perks like free cups of coffee by the end of the year.
    Source: Mitsubishi Wants Your Driving Data, and It's Willing to Throw in a Free Cup of Coffee to Get It

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ugh.

"Staying under the speed limit."

We have a fundamental problem with that in our country. Whatever the speed limit is, you can add 10-15 mph to it, and that's the speed that most people drive. (rural Utah is the only place I've found that to not be true... they actually set realistic speed limits that I found myself right at most of the time) People accept this. The COPS generally accept this unless they've been directed to set up a speed trap. If you're trying to drive the speed limit, a COP will be one of the first people to tailgate you!

This will never happen, but I wish they'd just change "speed limit" to "speed target". Okay, the speed "target" is 55. You're breaking the law if you're more than 5 miles above that. And then, ENFORCE it! Enforce it rigorously.

"Speed limit" in practice in the US does not mean what it says in any way. And trying to drive the speed limit in certain places is actually DANGEROUS when all of the traffic on the road is trying to drive 10-15 mph faster than that. I've had to drive through some of those places with a teen student driver. You're trying to teach them to drive at least CLOSE to the speed limit (but, OMG not LESS than the speed limit!!!)... and every car on the road is going at least 10 mph faster. Talk about frustrating!

Sorry for the rant.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Heck, I'm already doing this now. I'm participating in the State of Oregon Road Usage Program. It actually costs me a little money to participate but I figure it's better to them to get some data from fuel efficient cars to determine proper per mile pricing.

https://www.azuga.com/products/gover...ematics/orego/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Loren (07-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Sorry, Mitsubishi...but I feel that enough of my life is surreptitiously 'tracked' as it is.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ooh.. Sign me up. Not!
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Sounds like the same thing where some insurance companies are offering discounts based on good driving habits tracked remotely.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Now I remember why the first thing I did with my newly-purchased GM car was to disconnect the OnStar antenna...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Sounds like the same thing where some insurance companies are offering discounts based on good driving habits tracked remotely.
    Pretty similar for sure. It’s definitely Big Brother level tracking in the Oregon program. I can look at the data remotely and it collects throttle, braking, top speed, average speed, fuel consumed, routing information, location etc.. After 3 months of data my highest speed recorded is 58 mph because well, it’s the Oregon Coast and nobody is in a hurry to get anywhere ever.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No thanks. I already get hot chocolate and coffee for free when I am getting my free oil changes at the dealership.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (07-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

pluck u mitsubishi

This damn data collection is out of hand! Now this?

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/07/...-driving-data/

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)