Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A very rare brake grind noise

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation A very rare brake grind noise

So on an occasion i get a grind noise when braking from front passenger side usually first thing in the morning. goes away after i let go of the brakes and wait a second. Its happened twice in 2 months or so. Another odd issue usually first drive of the day as well, when i brake lightly i get a very faint wobble in the steering wheel. Also goes away after i press harder not to return until maybe the next day.

I have replaced my brake pads myself not my rotors tho. I'm thinking it might be time but my rotors appear and feel smooth. I did the brakes about 6 months ago before winter hit Syracuse.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    How many miles on the car? I had to replace my rotors at about 95,000 miles. They were within specs in terms of thickness, but were warped.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    While you are at it, you could check two important things often ignored.

Firstly, the actual brake pads must be able to slightly move within their clips in the installed position. The clips are made of spring steel for exactly that purpose, and on our cars, these sort of clips are only on the inner pad. Check the caliper where it meets the clips that in turn meet the pads, and look at the cleanliness of caliper and clips, so as to verify there is no buildup of rust/dirt on the caliper surface touching and around around the clips. Build-up in that area could actually fasten the pads firmly in place and make them immovable.

Secondly, the caliper is a floating design with one piston. In order to work properly, create symmetric pressure while braking, and release both pads afterwards, the caliper most be able to float effortlessly (= move sideways) on its two pins. If not, one pad would wear out quicker than the other and increase fuel consumption considerably. The caliper-holding pins and the cylindrical holes they are inserted in, must be impecably clean and LIGHTY lubed with plastilube or similar, and must me 100% OK, just as the boots. They protect the assembly from dirt. The grooves that the boots are in, must also be 100% clean.

The described wobble in the steering while braking is typical for warped rotors. That can happen after repeated hard braking, particularly when very hot rotors get wet. The rapid cooling-off warps them. Since our rotors are ventilated and we don't drive "performance" cars, this should not happen very often at all, particularly if we don't drive like maniacs.
    Last edited by foama; 07-10-2018 at 05:12 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It just hit 25k after 3 years lol. The loud grind happens after I had to slow down very fast because some idiot locked up his uhaul.

So maybe just spray everything off with brake cleaner to help for the moment till i can get new pads and rotors?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.carid.com/centric/prefer...1&url=15583402

i found this i was wondering if you guys think this would be a good deal or not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    One question shadowtuy, have you visually inspected your brake pads & rotors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowtuy View Post
    ...usually first thing in the morning
    ...goes away after i let go of the brakes
    ...usually first drive of the day as well, when i brake lightly i get a very faint wobble in the steering wheel.
    ...goes away after i press harder not to return until maybe the next day
    It's not unusual for a slight amount of surface rust to accumulate on the rotor surface in a matter of hours. It's more likely if the car is parked outside and it rains (or you wash the car but don't drive it right away). The first time you hit the brakes in the morning, you hear a grinding noise as the surface rust is basically cleaned off the rotors by the brake shoes. It can also affect the feel of the pedal the first time you use the brakes in the morning. As soon as you hit the brakes once or twice and the rust is blown off, everything returns to normal.

Unless you use your brakes a ton, you shouldn't need rotors at 25k miles. If they have excessive runout (in other words...they're warped), you would pretty much feel that every time you hit the brakes. That's not something that goes away on its own. And you can't tell this by looking at them. You need a dial indicator because they only need to be out by .002 of an inch before you can start feeling it through the pedal. So don't rush out and spend money on new parts just yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it's kinda unusual to have already replaced the brake pads at 25k.

Interesting article on "warped brake rotors":
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The brake pad got low and my dealership said they needed service, I guess i just brake heavy?

I haven't taken the caliper off no but the rotor is smooth no lines or bumps.

The sound was very loud on one side, like metal on metal.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    @shadowtuy: Heavy braking? Maybe the following may interest you:

https://www.metrompg.com/posts/hyper...as-mileage.htm