Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A very rare brake grind noise

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    time will tell did they look like they need it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    They don't look bad to me at all.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My friend's 2014 Mirage started to develop a brake noise. She insisted it was the front brakes and I thought it sounded like front. I cleaned and lubed everything and put the brakes together since they were still at 6/32". The noise continued. Lst oil change she wanted new front brake pads on. I replaced the front pads and the rotors looked fine. Test drove and heard the noise.

I removed both rear drums and the rear shoes had lots of life left and drums looked fine. I sanded the brake shoes with 80 grit sandpaper, cleaned out all the brake dust, and the noise has been gone for the last 8 days now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    My friend's 2014 Mirage started to develop a brake noise.
    ...I thought it sounded like front.
    ...removed both rear drums...cleaned out all the brake dust, and the noise has been gone for the last 8 days now.
    I had a friend with a PT Cruiser and they are known for this problem on the rear drums. It sounds like a terrible grinding noise...but removing the drum and cleaning the dust out is all you need to do to make the noise stop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My wife's Saturn that she drove for 10 years used to develop rear brake squeal if I didn't give the brakes an "Italian Tune-Up" every month or so. If you use the brakes very lightly as a rule, the rear drums hardly work at all. Just need to get them to work a little bit. I used to just make a couple gentle stops from like 40 mph with the handbrake. Make them work, remove the rust from the drums, get a little heat into them. Problem solved.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok so after driving a few days my steering wheel no longer shakes when going from 70- 0 not grind yet either. So fingers crossed! The painted rotors look 10x nicer as well!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Glad to hear it worked out for you!

And, thanks for following up with things and letting us know how it turned out. Nothing is worse than surfing for an issue you're having only to find a person with the exact same problem who did something annnnnnd.... they never reply if it fixed it!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)