Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100,000 mile compression test/spark plug replacement!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It is pretty easy...even if you aren't comfortable with wrenches. Remove a few 10mm bolts, disconnect a few electrical connectors, pull the plugs, screw in the tester, crank her over.

Simplicity is one of the things I LOVE about this car. And it is also one of the main things it's critics really hate.
    For anyone changing their spark plugs, this thread is a good place to start. I came across someone who video recorded changing the spark plugs on their 2014 Mirage since this thread was first started.

I noticed by the comment section, Dirk had been there!

If anyone is interested in doing this job themselves, Cobrajet's write up and viewing this clip should make the job much easier.

I thought I would add it to this thread rather than start a new one.

Mitsubishi Mirage 2014 spark plug replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LowWL0KcLo

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (04-14-2023),Dirk Diggler (04-06-2021),inuvik (04-06-2021),MetroMPG (05-18-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    1) Nope. Once cleared with my OBDII reader it was gone. It was simply the result of cranking the engine with the IAT sensor disconnected.

2) A slight change. I also put some injector cleaner in at the same time. First time I had done it. I went to Costco and they had a box of six bottles of Techron injector cleaner for only $14! Mpg seems a tiny bit better and idle seems a little smoother, but I don't know if it's the new plugs or the injector cleaner doing it's thing. I checked the electrode gap on the original plugs, and at "0.050 they were still within specs. Probably could have left them in, as I expected.

3) I use top-tier...either Arco or Mobil, with a few dozen tanks of Chevron and Texaco mixed in. This car gets good enough mileage that I don't feel I need to cheap out on gas!
    Was that just a mishap? Forgetting to connect the IAT sensor? My buddy and I are going to change out my plugs and I just wanted to make sure the CEL doesn't come on if we change them?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Was that just a mishap? Forgetting to connect the IAT sensor? My buddy and I are going to change out my plugs and I just wanted to make sure the CEL doesn't come on if we change them?
    I was doing a compression test while changing the plugs. This requires cranking the engine with the plugs out which is why I got the CEL from the disconnected sensor.

If you are just replacing the plugs without the compression test all you need to do to avoid the CEL is make sure everything is plugged back in before starting the engine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-17-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I was doing a compression test while changing the plugs. This requires cranking the engine with the plugs out which is why I got the CEL from the disconnected sensor.

If you are just replacing the plugs without the compression test all you need to do to avoid the CEL is make sure everything is plugged back in before starting the engine.
    Thank you Cobra! I'm at 76k miles and figure its time to change them out. I'm using OEM plugs from Mitsu.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Thank you Cobra! I'm at 76k miles and figure its time to change them out. I'm using OEM plugs from Mitsu.
    Service life on the plugs is 105,000 miles according to Mitsubishi, but doing them at 76k can't really hurt. Iridium plugs are amazing!

I did mine at 97k, and honestly they didn't look like they needed to be replaced.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-17-2021)

The oem plug is NGK 93298. Any parts store should carry them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    But make sure you index them. You might get another 0.4 hp from indexing ... can't leave any hp scraps on the table!

Theoretically it would gain more than that, but it's not something you'd feel while driving. I index them just because I'm a friggin nerd.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    But make sure you index them. You might get another 0.4 hp from indexing ... can't leave any hp scraps on the table!

Theoretically it would gain more than that, but it's not something you'd feel while driving. I index them just because I'm a friggin nerd.
    I am assuming you haven't actually done this (changed spark plugs) for your 2020 Mirage.

I've only seen one reference to this on the forum -

"Anyway, I went ahead and put the new plugs in today, so I'll see how they feel over the next week. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get them properly indexed, so 1 is open to the intake, 2 is open to the exhaust, and 3 is sideways open to the front of the engine."

Cani Lupine posted on 7-17-20

Has anyone (on planet Earth) made an effort to index Mirage spark plugs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    No, I haven't done it to the Mirage yet. I figure out how much rotation it takes to bend the metal gasket thingie to reach set torque. And if it's out of position when I meet the metal gasket thingie before bending it, I swap it to the next cylinder. It will be more difficult to do it right on a Mirage since we only have 3 cylinders. In the end, it's not worth it. But I can't help being a friggin nerd about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

You'd probably see a more noticeable improvement by removing the antenna. I've never indexed spark plugs except for in diesels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)