Thread: Mirage vs higher elevation

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage vs higher elevation

Ill be going on a road trip with my wife where there will be miles of upper elevation and the slope is 7% upward. That being said, if I need to increase acceleration efficiently, especially from a dead stop, do I need to keep it 55 MPH or speed limit, either in 2nd or 3rd gear for minutes no matter what's RPM may read within the safe thresolds ie 4000-5,000? My concern is that driving uphill for 10 minutes straight for example may put too much strain on the engine that may likely get toasted over time.

Not only the engine will have to work hard but MPG should drop low as 25.

Any idea on how to efficiently keeping up the load uphill in terms of speed? All I know is to have the A/C off when going up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It should be fine, if it was the CVT id be worried about the CVT temps but ive pulled some steep long hills with it over 100F ambient and the coolant temps never went beyond 195F. Since you have the 5 speed id say 60mph is fine. That engine is built to rev (peak torque is at 4000rpm) and doesn't really make enough power to hurt itself under full load conditions, The cooling system is more the adequate. Find where it wants to sit while climbing and let it eat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    You'll climb those hills no problem. Sounds like from your post your have a 5 speed. No worries about running the engine at 4000 rpm for extended period of time. Remember it's a 1200cc double overhead cam engine. You could run it 4000 rpm all day without worry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    It should be fine, if it was the CVT id be worried about the CVT temps but ive pulled some steep long hills with it over 100F ambient and the coolant temps never went beyond 195F. Since you have the 5 speed id say 60mph is fine. That engine is built to rev (peak torque is at 4000rpm) and doesn't really make enough power to hurt itself under full load conditions, The cooling system is more the adequate. Find where it wants to sit while climbing and let it eat.
    I agree with this whole quote. I will add, I drove a Hyundai Turdola cross country years ago, and the high elevation really did a number on that car. It was an Accent. A free car to me, as I worked for Hyundai-Kia at that time. And I didn't give a rip about the car. It threw a Check Engine light in Death Valley (misfires). Boy was that car a turd. And it felt like it was down to half power in the climbing up into the high desert.

So, if you're going to be pulling steep grades on the interstate with the mighty Mirage, and it is in the upper elevations where it is losing power, I'm guessing it may still hold 65 mph in 4th gear. That is ~3,985 rpm. That is hovering the rpm range at which it makes most torque. I'm guessing it would be successful at that speed. And still get enough airflow to keep it cool enough.

I also drove my old Honda Oddity minivan (had about 150k miles on the van at that point) out west and through Death Valley one time. It was the hottest point of summer. About 130°F (still have the pictures of my boys standing by that temp gauge at 130°F). I wasn't going to take any chance of breaking down in my own personal vehicle. So we put all the windows down when pulling hills in Death Valley, and ran the heater at 100% maximum, and pulled it down a gear to let it run about 2,800 rpm (as I recall). The radiator and heater core both dumping heat. Yeah, it was warm inside. But we stayed moving. It wasn't like we were going to die. And ... I have sons, not a car full of prom queens. The wife didn't complain either. She wanted to make sure we were able to get out of Death Valley without having to set on the side of the road and wait for help.

The point of the story is, if you feel like your car is on the verge of over heating, or you get the red or orange temp gauge warning, turn your heater and fan on full blast. That's how to pull maximum heat out of your cooling system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-18-2022),MrMPG (08-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    You'll climb those hills no problem. Sounds like from your post your have a 5 speed. No worries about running the engine at 4000 rpm for extended period of time. Remember it's a 1200cc double overhead cam engine. You could run it 4000 rpm all day without worry.
    I just did a 1,500 pound tow with my Blueberry. And had a fair amount of time at 4,000 rpm in 4th. It was able to hold speed pulling hills. But it wasn't going to accelerate even at full throttle (up hills). You may see similar performance while in the upper elevations. Meaning, holding speed, but it won't accelerate. Which is no big deal, it won't hurt anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you guys. I appreciate the helpful response as I now feel at 100% peace.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We demand a full report after completion of your high elevation trip. Or your membership here shall be revoked!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-19-2022)