Thread: Swapping in an actual Android OS radio (NOT android auto/apple carplay)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Swapping in an actual Android OS radio (NOT android auto/apple carplay)

Tossing around the idea of swapping in an Android radio into my base model ES. Has anyone done this?? I want the built in navigation, and not having my phone locked up by android auto, which MY radio doesn't even recognize my phone, its an unsupportable device haha I have a galaxy S8+.

Im not sure the radio changes between the 6th gens pre/post facelift. I want to keep my factory backup cam, and steering wheel controls, so I may be stuck staying stock...

2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Tossing around the idea of swapping in an Android radio into my base model ES. Has anyone done this?? I want the built in navigation, and not having my phone locked up by android auto, which MY radio doesn't even recognize my phone, its an unsupportable device haha I have a galaxy S8+.

Im not sure the radio changes between the 6th gens pre/post facelift. I want to keep my factory backup cam, and steering wheel controls, so I may be stuck staying stock...
    I definatley want to do the same but I am waiting for price to come down. When I looked on Amazon 2 years ago they had these android radios which were basically tablets that where shaped to fit in a double din opening. And they where over 300 bucks and the reviews where mostly piss-poor.

Fast forward to 2018 there are many more choices but I still do not feel that the technology has matured enough for me to jump in. I remember when digital cameras came out and finally bit the bullet after waiting for years and paid $400 for a 2MP camera.

I see a trend among new cars that the manufacturers set up a custom dashboard to make it next to impossible to purchase an aftermarket stereo. And now with that new law that all cars have to have a back-up camera it means we wont see anything EXCEPT for touchscreen radios once that law takes effect.

I know that nobody wants to hear me say it: But the best strategy for the moment would be to wait. Or else one will overpay and for a technology that will radically change in a year or 2.

If I can get the android radio for less than $150 complete with all the bells and whistles and that the data connection it is tethered off of my phones sim card via bluetooth or Wifi (or whatever) after we see that.....Then we will know the technology has matured.

UPDATE: But it makes me question: Isnt this redudancy for me to purchase a touchscreen fancy-pants android radio when I already have a fancy smartphone that has GPS, navigation, bluetooth phone calls and so forth? I see tablets selling for 50 bucks, so I ask myself do I really need an android radio? And i certainly dont want to buy something that gets my car burglarized by attracting attention of the crooks walking by.
    Last edited by fc321; 07-10-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Me and my friend are going to try and rig up a radio that uses a tablet as the screen, but retains self navigation. I want to have nav on the car, but be able to browse my phone while at stop lights haha defiantly something I want to do, but the cost is so high

2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)