Thread: $69 Android stereo with mirroring

Country
    United States
    Thanks

$69 Android stereo with mirroring

Upgraded 7 Inch Double Din Touch Screen Car Stereo Headunit with Free Rear Camera and Steering Wheel Control and Car Tuning Tools and Remote Control Support Mirror Link Audio Receiver MP5 Player

Im considering to buy this for $69.99 because it says it supports mirroring the android screen and using waze or google maps navigation

Anyone have expereince with these? I am wary because most of the android stereos on Amazon are garbage. I mean they are glorified tablets running android kit-kat (most of them)

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im going to spend the big bucks and buy an all in one android based radio. I just need to find one that will fill in the entirety of my radio hole. I want nav and **** with out losing my phone to the radio haha
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I considered to do the same but I dont want to buy it and find the price drop to $80 in one year. In fact I am now considering to just get a double din but a normal radio rather than touchscreen gizmos. I mean I have a phone for navigation and all the other stuff.

EDIT: After wasting over 3 hours of research on these generic android head-units (they call them mp5 players to distinguish them since they dont actually run the android OS)

I can tell you to not waste your money on them. They are glitchy, unreliable, overheat, reboot themselves and in general they die inside of 1 year. And if you buy it shipped from China the shipping to send it back is so expensive that it is not even worth doing and you will have to swallow the loss.

I am as cheap/thifty as they come but the level of risk to reward does not pan out here. The main thing attracting me to these touchscreen units was the backing up reverse camera. But in reality its a gimmick, may as well just use the rear-view mirror and turn my neck and LOOK. The way the old-timers used to
    Last edited by fc321; 07-14-2018 at 10:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Im going to spend the big bucks and buy an all in one android based radio. I just need to find one that will fill in the entirety of my radio hole. I want nav and **** with out losing my phone to the radio haha
    I installed the newer Xtrons 7" universal one and It had to trim the 2din a bit to get it to fit in. It also has split screen capabilities so I can have Waze up on the one side and music on the other
    heres a pic for reference. sorry for the bad quality there must have been a smudge on my camera
    Name:  37049982_10156183383082247_8401730555313389568_n.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  27.4 KB

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-01-2019),Angrybeaver (07-21-2018),fc321 (07-19-2018),Gnarles2 (07-23-2018),Timinator (07-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Nice shift knob.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Rkt Ship (07-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How do you like that Xtrons radio? I see them on Amazon but most dont have any reviews

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like the way that looks, but does it require the use of a phone still?? I want to get away from having my phone lock up in the car just for good maps haha
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    How do you like that Xtrons radio? I see them on Amazon but most dont have any reviews
    Im liking it. It has its downsides but mostly better than the stock radio. I couldn't get the dimmer function to work so I manually have to dim it during dark hours. Its probably something I could fix but I'm done trying lol. I installed a seperate amp so I used the rca outputs instead of using the stock outputs. That way when I get rid of the car I can easily swap back. Also the UI could be a bit better but I'm working on a custom rom for it thats better for what I'm doing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I like the way that looks, but does it require the use of a phone still?? I want to get away from having my phone lock up in the car just for good maps haha
    It doesn't require a phone you can use an sd card with maps on it. There are also apps that you can dl that have maps that are updated somewhat often. You just have to go and upload new maps once in awhile. I use my phone as a hotspot but thats as simple as turning on the hotspot. I like having live data because it allows me to see traffic issues BEFORE I hit them.
    It also has the option to run some 4g stick thing but I have unlimited data so I didn't bother sicne i could just turn on my hotspot.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    Im liking it. It has its downsides but mostly better than the stock radio. I couldn't get the dimmer function to work so I manually have to dim it during dark hours. Its probably something I could fix but I'm done trying lol. I installed a seperate amp so I used the rca outputs instead of using the stock outputs. That way when I get rid of the car I can easily swap back. Also the UI could be a bit better but I'm working on a custom rom for it thats better for what I'm doing.
    I also forgot to mention the biggest issue I have is finding functional widgets. its a 4x3 screen (cant remember if thats the best way to type it its 4 icons wide and 3 icons down) I wanted to replace the mp3 widget but all the ones Ive found are x X4 so I cant install them because they are too tall. Just a gripe. The stock one is ok but there is no search function so basically the same as the stock system but I dont need to turn a knob.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-21-2018)