Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before I trade my CVT for a manual can anyone offer any advice???

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Before I trade my CVT for a manual can anyone offer any advice???

I've been pleased and, at the same time, disappointed with my CVT. After modifying my driving habits I've found I get great gas milage with the CVT but... I keep reading (here) that virtually everyone does better with the manual. I just talked to my dealer and he's willing to take back my SE CVT (with 1500km on it) + $1000 for a new SE MT. I'm just hoping that I'm not giving something up I might regret. One thing that worries me is that the people who get better fuel economy with the manual might be using special driving techniques. I am willing to drive conservatively (as I have learned to do with the CVT) but, I don't really want to have to put a lot of effort into getting better fuel economy from the manual. I've got the week to think about it and am wondering if anyone has any advice.

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You might want to look at the fuel economy statistics on this web site. In US terms is the 3 MPG improvement worth $1,000?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Advice: if you're seriously considering spending $1k for slightly better fuel economy, take the 5MT on a long-ish test drive route that you can repeat immediately after in your CVT for comparison in the same weather and traffic conditions.

That way you get to see if your manual driving style is going to get significantly different results than the automatic.

Note: make sure each car is equally warmed up before attempting to compare them (a warmer drivetrain will have an advantage). Check tire pressure too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    With 1500 km on the car you have not put in the time or the effort to make an informed decision regarding actual mpg.
    But hey, if you're willing to take a $2000.00 loss to gain 2 or 3 mpg you should have your money back just before the warranty runs out.
    The goal is ECONOMY (lowest cost per km) starting with a $2000.00 deficit doesn't fit the profile.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 05-11-2015 at 01:11 AM. Reason: softening the tone
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some good advice ? Go test one out, for your selve. And take it on a long drive. And do some city driving with it. With a lot of stop and go traffic . Or see if you can rent one to test out for a while. If your like me I drive all day long for my job . So when I went home I was too tired to do a lot of stop and go traffic so a auto was a nice brake. But if you don't do that much driving you might like the manual.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very very true!!! Sad but True
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    With 1500 km on the car you have not put in the time or the effort to make an informed decision regarding actual mpg.
    But hey, if you're willing to take a $2000.00 loss to gain 2 or 3 mpg you should have your money back just before the warranty runs out.
    The goal is ECONOMY (lowest cost per km) starting with a $2000.00 deficit doesn't fit the profile.
    Actually for me it's all about emissions (not $) but that said, even if the manual was on par with CVT, there would be the added bonus of a performance boost or... at least the ability to better utilize the engines performance if and when necessary.

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Some good advice ? Go test one out, for your selve. And take it on a long drive. And do some city driving with it. With a lot of stop and go traffic . Or see if you can rent one to test out for a while. If your like me I drive all day long for my job . So when I went home I was too tired to do a lot of stop and go traffic so a auto was a nice brake. But if you don't do that much driving you might like the manual.
    I only do short hop stop and go city driving where one would assume the manual would do better.

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    BTW, thanx everyone for the level headed advice. I've been toying with the idea for a while and appreciate any input that might improve my perspective. The biggest problem that I can see is that, no matter how well thought out, one needs to spend time with the car to really know for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nternal1 View Post
    One thing that worries me is that the people who get better fuel economy with the manual might be using special driving techniques.
    Don't look at mine then because I use very special driving techniques!

Do what others already said and take a manual and drive it as long as you can in your style because it would really suck to take a financial loss to find out that you could do better with the CVT!

I once had to take a CVT mirage on a 5 mile test drive in city and I was impressed that about 2.5 miles into the drive the display went to show 60 MPG! (i reset the display at a dead stop before taking off)

So that made me wonder about the same thing as you are wondering right now!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)