Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US: Just In: Small, underpowered 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage (ConsumerReports.org)

US: Just In: Small, underpowered 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage (ConsumerReports.org)

Consumer Reports have bought themselves a Mirage ES CVT to review, and their first impression is you'd be better off getting a good used car instead.

This isn't a full review, just an introduction to the car. But they point out...

Pros:

- lots of features: eg. alloys, bluetooth, cruise, leather steering wheel
    - low price
    - fun colours

Cons:

- engine neither smooth nor powerful
    - CVT driving experience
    - ride/handling
    - uncomfortable seats

Summary:

... thus far in our test, we’re not sure why anybody would [buy a Mirage] in the face of so many good used car alternatives for little or no more extra money.
    Read the full article: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...rage/index.htm

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mikhail (10-26-2013)

It seems to me they have missed a significant part of the point: the car's low price is only half the equation Mitsu is using.

The best-in-class fuel consumption (ie. low operating costs) is the other half of the recipe... yet the writer doesn't mention this at all.

That's like buying a Ferarri and forgetting to talk about the sound of its engine, or how well it handles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Ferraris handle well? Who knew.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Well, the Nissan Versa (Tiida) is also on the Consumer Reports "Not Recommended" list, and it's the best-selling subcompact in the U.S.

http://www.nblawoffices.com/these-ja...sumer-reports/

So that says something...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The illusory alternative to a good used car
    This is not the illusory alternative for those who needs an inexpensive car for their short city commute. My neighbor purchased the new civic DX in 1999 and now has only 73,000 miles on a clock. And, I think, that is not bad idea to have powertrain warranty for 10 years, which used cars obviously do not provide.
    Last edited by Mikhail; 10-26-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    It is funny how a subjective test even think they represent the opinion of general people. If i see a broken down cars on the side of the road they are always been european cars, not japanese. But reliability has never once been mentioned in any of the tests. I bought my mirage and the only regret i had is that I didn't get the CVT version everytime I'm in a traffic jam lolz. For the most part i had a blast with it, even took it to german autobahn and quite enjoy being overtaken by 200+ km/h Audi's and porsche's sometimes aston martin while still enjoying my 18 km per liter driving occasionally 150 km/h. And i still sits comfortably. Maybe the tester is a massive guy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    It is funny how a subjective test even think they represent the opinion of general people. If i see a broken down cars on the side of the road they are always been european cars, not japanese. But reliability has never once been mentioned in any of the tests. I bought my mirage and the only regret i had is that I didn't get the CVT version everytime I'm in a traffic jam lolz. For the most part i had a blast with it, even took it to german autobahn and quite enjoy being overtaken by 200+ km/h Audi's and porsche's sometimes aston martin while still enjoying my 18 km per liter driving occasionally 150 km/h. And i still sits comfortably. Maybe the tester is a massive guy?
    it is a american review

not sure how it is in other parts of the world
    but a used toyota is priced higher then any other car for more so compared to a german car because they are so relaiable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The same is generally true here too, Honda is right there with them.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Just in case you're not clear on how much Consumer Reports hates the Mirage, tune in around the 20:17 mark in this "Best & Worst of 2013" video:

http://youtu.be/GIjEYmJqA-o