Thread: Where to route wires for amplifier?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Where to route wires for amplifier?

I have read a few tutorials in this forum on upgrading the speakers and installing an amplifier (Which I would like to do under the passenger seat).

But I am confused as to where to route the wires (I mean which side of the car to run them) Specifically I am confused how to get wires from the passenger side over to the drivers side [I mean how do I route the FAT power wire from the passenger side over to cross to the driver's side in order to come out the firewall?]

Group A: rca cables, speaker wires that connect the amp to speakers
    Group B: power, remote line, ground

Also can I just run the speaker wires from the amp to behind the new aftermarket head unit (and crimp into the factory speaker wires located there) or do I really have to buy fatter gauge wire and run directly from amp to each individual speaker (A more difficult and expensive procedure). Wait, before you answer notice that I am using a very weak amplifier only 40 RMS x 4) So will this be okay to use the factory speaker wiring because of the weak amp?

System:

+ New aftermarket Headunit 60w x 4 (17 RMS) [with 4 rca out ports]
    + Amplifier: Alpine MRP-F250
    _____4-channel car amplifier [With 4 rca in ports]
    _____40 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (50 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
    _____100 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
    _____2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
    + 4 Speakers [4 ohms]
    _____60w RMS each

I am planning to make a YouTube video of the entire install as a reference to future newbies on this forum. So forgive me for asking many questions but I want to do everything properly since I will be making an instructional video

I can only find information for people that install amp in the trunk like this:
    Name:  car-overhead-2.jpg
Views: 3370
Size:  55.9 KB

Because the power wire in my amp wiring kit is not long enough to run backwards to the rear seats and then all around the entire circumference of car and around the drivers side floor panels. (See photos in post below )I installed amp 10 years ago but it was in the trunk and I am not understanding how to route wires for a under-the-passenger-seat side install while respecting the rule that power wires must run on the opposite side of the car than audio wires. Also I am planning to ground it on the bolt of the passenger seat. Is that correct?

Last edited by fc321; 07-17-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would like to know is this possible? (See orange line - running underneath the carpet)
    Attachment 12162

What about this?
    Attachment 12163

Because my power wire is not long enough to do this (its only 17 ft long):

Name:  5r3m.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  64.6 KB

In fact how many feet long would power wire need to be in order do run it behind the rear seats like that?
    Last edited by fc321; 07-17-2018 at 04:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Have you considered just hooking up the head unit by itself and see how you like that sound? That way you don't have to run any wires. If you install a new head unit and speakers, that may be perfectly fine for what you're after.

A better place for your amplifier (assuming it's not physically large) is under the front passenger seat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Have you considered just hooking up the head unit by itself and see how you like that sound? That way you don't have to run any wires. If you install a new head unit and speakers, that may be perfectly fine for what you're after.

A better place for your amplifier (assuming it's not physically large) is under the front passenger seat.
    Yes TopFuel I considered it but since I already own the amplifier and its just sitting in storage I figured I may as well use it because the only thing I had to buy was a $14 amp wiring kit. Also yes I want to install the amp under the passenger seat but I dont know which path to route the power wires. That is the main question

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Yes TopFuel I considered it but since I already own the amplifier and its just sitting in storage I figured I may as well use it because the only thing I had to buy was a $14 amp wiring kit. Also yes I want to install the amp under the passenger seat but I dont know which path to route the power wires. That is the main question
    Save your $$. There is a available 20 amp circuit bundled under your center floor console. Plug in a 20 amp fuse into the empty seat heater spot in the fuse block. The pigtail is already there. Now you have 20 amps (240 watts) of power available. Short power cord from the unused plug to your amp under the passenger's seat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow this is very interesting thanks I had no idea such a thing existed, It would be nice not to have to run wires thru the firewall to get to the car battery

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    actually if your short with the power line you may set the Apli under the passenger seat then run a longer RCA cables. thats what i did with my setup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-18-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    iran my power line same as the pic above, then i slip it under the dash through the center console to the passenger seat. then on the other side i ran the longer rca cables going to back where my sub is located. but this is for a hatchback not a sedan

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool, thanks guys. @Inuvik was kind enough to PM me the detailed instructions on tapping into the 240 watts provided by the heated seat warmer so that how I am going to set it up. The job will be even easier than I first imagined. Dont even need to run a power wire thru the firewall or connect to the car battery terminal this way. Sweet.

Here is the cross-referenced thread if anyone is curious:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ated-Seat-Swap

Just need this relay + a 20 fuse (yellow)

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...250137/5732280

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Import-Dire...53.m2749.l2649

This setup works good for weak amps like mine because it puts out 240 watts. I call it a "weak amp" as an adjective but in reality the amp sounds really, really good for personal listening. On my old car it was excellent did not even need a subwoofer and got bass that thumped so good it made your teeth rattle

In my opinion a 40 RMS x 4 amp is more than enough to enjoy your favorite tunes with terrific sound quality. You guys are in for a real treat after I finish the YouTube instructional video. Especially when I finally reveal the secret of the speakers I ended up using you wont believe it.

Last edited by fc321; 07-18-2018 at 04:50 AM.