Thread: G4 Tires 14in more quiet ride then 15in Alloy?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

G4 Tires 14in more quiet ride then 15in Alloy?

We road tested a new 18 G4 CVT recently I did a comparison in a previous post with the alloy 15's options and noticed much more road noise then with Dott or Dolores 17 hatches with 14 Steels Ecoslaves. I was able to drive a G4 with the base steel wheels (ecos) and road noise diminshed maybe slightly quieter then Dott and Dolores.

We are thinking of the new G4 but I would spend a lot of time in it with multiple family members. I was thinking on the entire test drive the road noise in combination with family over time would get to me. The family is still considering the G4 but now it would be the 14 tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Ecosave tire appears to only be available in the 14" size. So, whatever the 15" tire is, it's not the same tire. Looks like it's probably a Yokohama Avid S34-FA

The 14's are going to inherently ride a little smoother, and thus be a little quieter because they have a taller sidewall.

The 15's are also wider. More rubber on the road = more potential for noise.

I'd venture a guess that LRR tires are quieter than most tires, as well, because noise = vibration or pushing air, which is turning rolling energy into heat. The very nature of a LRR tire should make it quieter.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, and tires are always quietest when they're new. Once they start wearing, they will get a little louder. (or a lot louder, depending on the tire)
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    We are thinking of the new G4 but I would spend a lot of time in it with multiple family members. I was thinking on the entire test drive the road noise in combination with family over time would get to me. The family is still considering the G4 but now it would be the 14 tires.
    The scientific approach to testing a hypothesis is based on testing one specific variable. Change that one variable, test the results, observe the data, and draw a conclusion. 14" vs. 15" wheels have a number of different variables. You're comparing different rims and different tires that have different weights, different diameters (slightly), different rubber compound, different thread pattern, different tire width, etc... These are all factors. Could you find a 15" tire that is quieter than a 14" tire? Most likely!!! Once your 14" tires wear out, are you going to stick with the expensive Dunlop tires? I can see where you consider the difference in 14" vs 15" wheels as one single variable, but there are number of things that could contribute to ALL this.

The openness of a hatchback to the wheel well is going to contribute to some extra noise. My guess is that sedans are usually quieter than similar hatchbacks. Having said that, you couldn't give me a sedan. I like hauling stuff, & my dog doesn't like traveling in a trunk either.

If someone is to loud, I don't offer them a ride. I dumped my kids once when they were young. Told them to think about their behavior. I went back an hour later & picked them up. The rest of our trip was much more enjoyable!

I'll be honest. I found the best deal on a Mirage and went with that. My tires look dirty most of the time. If I had fancy ones, I would feel bad. I don't want that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The Mirage (in either form) is a rolling tin can with virtually no sound insulation. It's going to have road noise. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the 15" tires (Yokohama) aren't as quiet as the 14" Dunlops. But I wouldn't let that sway my purchase decision either way. The majority of the noise you are experiencing is lkely due to the car's complete lack of sound deadening material.

If you want to talk about making the car more quiet, check out some of the sound deadening discussion on here. Adding the right sound insulation (Dynamat or similar product) to the car can make a significant difference. I'm actually surprised that Mitsubishi hasn't figured this out for the US market. Road noise is usually one of the whiners (car reviewers) first complaints. Spend another $50 to insulate the floor of cars headed to the US market!

Regardless of which wheel/tire option you decide on, realize that Mitsubishi didn't do us any favors either way. Both the 14" and 15" tires sizes on these cars are completely whacky. It's like the bean counters went into a room and said "What are the 2 most unusual tire sizes for 14" and 15" wheels in the US? Whatever they are, that's what we're using!"

So we're stuck with 165-65-14 (which no other car besides the Mirage uses) and 175-55-15 (these are used only on the front wheels of some late model Smart cars). Then there's the issue of the wheels only being 4.5" wide in both 14" and 15" diameters. Yikes! Most people wisely abandon these odd sizes when they get new tires. By doing so, it will usually open up a better selection of all sorts of tires...including ones that are quieter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-21-2018)