Thread: Developing: Exterior mirror blank / delete plate 3d printed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Developing: Exterior mirror blank / delete plate 3d printed

A lot of the Metro guys will quickly recognize this 'mod'. It is a blanking plate, or delete plate that allows you to remove your exterior mirror, and covers up any holes in the door. A lot of OEMs have used this to not only reduce the cost of a vehicle, but also increase the fuel economy of a car. Testing on Ecomodder shows this mod good for about a 2% increase in fuel economy per mirror removed. Not only that, but a nice side effect is reduced wind noise because the mirrors wreak havoc with aerodynamics.

What motivated me to do this mod was I recently was contacted by a Metro owner who wanted a mirror blanking plate. I made one for him on my 3d printer, and quickly wondered why I hadn't made one for the Mirage yet. So, I took the morning, removed my mirror (which is super easy), and started mocking things up. I started by cutting out a piece of cardboard to fit where the mirror used to cover. I then brought that inside and scanned it and put it into my CAD software to start the design. This is what I came up with.

Name:  miragemirror01.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  miragemirror02.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  43.7 KB

Version 1 was printed out in super low quality draft mode just to get something to quickly see how it fit and make adjustments. Version 2 was printed out last night while I was out for the evening at church. I fit it up today and it looks pretty good to me. Here are a few pictures.

Name:  IMG_20180720_102529715_HDR.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20180720_102547819.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  97.7 KB

Here it is held up to the car. The mounting points need some adjustment, so had to hold it in place.

Name:  IMG_20180720_102739089_HDR.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  98.2 KB

So, I am going to tweak the mounting points, and finalize what hardware I want to use. The current holes are too small because the holes in the door are fairly large and I need a bolt with a larger head.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-20-2018)