Thread: Greetings from New Jersey!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Greetings from New Jersey!

Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2018 Mirage ES hatch with the 5 speed manual, and so far I love it!

I used to drive a 2008 Smart and I loved that thing to death, but after 3 separate collisions and multiple repairs that got steadily more and more expensive (Mercedes dealer serviced, and priced accordingly!) I gave up on my Smart in January with 120k miles on it.

After my experience with the Smart I knew I wanted another 3 cylinder car, but one that was a bit more practical than the Smart was and hopefully cheaper to service.

I knew that Mitsubishi made the engine for the Smart Fortwo and I never had a single drive train issue with the Smart during my entire ownership tenure of that vehicle so I knew it had to be a Mitsubishi as my next car.

I signed the paperwork on my starlight silver metallic Mirage ES hatch this past January and have put 4500 miles on it so far, and having a great time, and the gas mileage, oh so sweeeeet.

The ONLY gripes I have with this car is that reverse crunches unless you are oh-so-gentle with selecting reverse, but even then it sometimes still crunches like a you-know-what, and when you engage the AC it's like kicking this poor thing in the nuts, when I need to achieve highway speeds or merge i shut the AC off to get more power!
    lol, it's not a big deal but I bought this thing for the new car reliability and gas mileage and so far pleasantly surprised by this thing.

Onwards and forwards!

-Sphinxrider

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! Post some pics in your garage when you can and welcome aboard!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Sphinxrider!

You're not the first former Smart fortwo owner here.

Re. reverse gear: is your clutch properly adjusted? (It's a cable adjustment and easy to do.) Floor mats interfering with full pedal travel?

Another suggestion: have you tried shifting into first (while stopped) before shifting to reverse?

Yes, AC saps a lot of power from a little motor, as you know. Saw this related photo on Jalopnik and it tells the same story:

Thread: This Jalopnik photo made me think of the Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

sphinxrider (02-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site and congrats on your new Mirage!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

FYI, related:

Thread: Difficulty shifting into reverse - manual transmission

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

sphinxrider (02-21-2021)